Friday, December 6, 2013

Today . . .

It is currently 18 degrees outside, and our five day forecast promises highs in the 20's and lows in either the single digits or teens. Lovely weather, isn't it? :) Winter is by far my least favorite of the seasons, though it does have its redeeming qualities . . . snow being one of them! Another is the break from the garden and outdoor work which frees up more time for other things. Right now, the only outdoor task that needs to be done is taking care of the animals (which has been a little more intensive as of late with the cold temps. - we're thawing/changing rabbit water bottles and breaking ice out of the other animals' waterers three times a day now!)

Between taking care of the animals, my time today was enjoyably filled talking with Leah while she crocheted and I packaged up a doll order, worked on another doll, and planned the two-week menu and made a grocery list with her . . .


It has been nice to be able to include some soups on the menu again! That is another advantage to cold winter weather. :)

Another advantage is the time available to work on various types of handwork, and one that will be my primary focus this winter is a quilt . . . it will look familiar to some of you 'older' readers . . .

This is as it was before being layered and having the quilting begun on it

Yes, it is still a work in progress! :) The quilting is about half-way finished now, and my goal is to have the quilt completed by the end of this winter . . . which is what I said last winter, too, but hopefully it will actually happen this time! 

Today I got it ready to begin hand-quilting another of the squares . . .

A template all prepped and ready to use to trace the pattern onto the square. I had cut small lines along the dotted lines which can then be traced through.

All traced and ready to quilt!

Another project I'll be working on during these winter evenings is this embroidery . . .

 Leah gave this kit to me, and I am enjoying embroidering it!

 The rest of the day was spent going to the post office to mail the aforementioned package, going grocery shopping with Mom and Leah, putting together this post, and in just a bit, I'll be heading outdoors to start the third round of chores for the day!

11 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah,

    18 degrees? You are still 30 degrees warmer than us - hee,hee.

    Our water troughs are frozen solid & will be until spring, thus we currently rotate buckets of water out of the basement 3 times daily.

    This evening will find me working on homemade Christmas gifts as our temps plummet to near 30 below. We are hoping for warmer weather next week.

    Blessings,
    Mrs.B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah,

    Your quilt is beautiful!! I began a quilt a while back, and I am hoping to have time to work on it over the winter months.

    This spring I completed the same embroidery kit you are working on. Embroidering is one of my favorite pastimes. Actually I am just finishing up another sampler from the same series.

    May you have a blessed weekend!

    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh darling Sarah I have never endured a real winter. My part of Australia is pretty warm all year round. It must be lovely to live in your home where plans are made and followed. Some days here are so difficult. But it is the season of Alzheimer's here and i am pleased to say dad tells me he is very happy.

    I love to read your winter plans for handwork. Being me I flit from one project to another. I would love to work on gifts but many in my life disdain hand made presents. Your quilt looks lovely.

    Enjoy the slower days. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lovely to see your quilt-in-progress. It is going to look so attractive.
    Our temperatures are done to 10 degrees in the greenhouse, not too cold yet. But I have my geraniums covered in bubble wrap.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like to hear about all of your projects and how much you can get done in a day/week/month/year - you're an inspiration to me in that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your weather makes ours look like a balmy day, Mrs. B.! Highs in the twenties are sounding better and better. :) It is forecast to begin warming up some here soon, and hopefully that will happen for you all, too!

    I hope that your evening of working on handmade projects went well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Sarah! How fun that you are working on a quilt as well . . . enjoy working on it during these winter days!

    That’s neat that you did the same embroidery! This was my favorite of their patterns, and there are several more that I would like to do as well. They are beautiful! Which one are you doing now?

    I hope that you had a blessed weekend as well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was good to hear from you again, Suze! Leah and I were teasing the other day that if we could put in our weather order, it would be to have winter for just one month. :) We enjoy the change of seasons, but wouldn’t mind if spring and fall could be longer and winter just a bit shorter!

    I am sorry to hear that things have been difficult for you . . . it would be so hard to care for a parent with Alzheimers. Not only because of the physical challenges, but also it would be very hard to see one you love suffering with this disease. I have had several great-aunts and –uncles who have/had dementia and my Grandpa has something very similar called Picks Disease so I can understand at least in a tiny part what you would be going through. At least he is happy! That is a great blessing. I will be praying for you Suze!

    Thank you for your kind words regarding the quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, Elizabeth! Brr . . . it is cold where you live! I didn’t realize that it would get that cold there. Hopefully your geraniums are fairing well with that extra protection!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am glad that you enjoy it, Anna, and that it can be an inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Sarah,

    I am working on the "Praise God" kit.

    May you have a blessed day!

    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! Each one is read and enjoyed. :)