Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Recipe to Share ~ Country-Style Chicken Soup

I don't know about where you all live right now, but here it has taken a decided turn for the colder making one think that a hearty soup would make an excellent dinner on one of these cold nights!


Below is a recipe for one of my favorites which is not only delicious, 
but has the added bonus of being simple to make.

(And I think I remembered to include all my alterations, though the amounts of things tends to vary every time I make it! Which is why I don't have exact measurements on many of the ingredients. :)


Country-style Chicken Soup

--3-4 cups cooked, shredded or cubed chicken
--1 onion chopped
--approx. 3 cups chopped carrots (I always use one quart jar of our canned carrots instead)
--3/4-1 cup chopped celery
--2 tsp. parsley flakes
--1 bay leaf
--1/4 tsp. thyme
--1/2 tsp. basil
--approx. 3/4 tsp. salt
--1/2-3/4 tsp. pepper
--6 cups water
--3 cups cooked rice*

In a 4 qt. or larger slow cooker, combine the first 11 ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours. Remove bay leaf and add rice. Serve when heated through.

*We bake our rice which makes meal preparation even simpler! Here's how it's done . . .

 Oven Baked Brown Rice

--1 cup brown rice
--2 1/2 cups water
--1/2 tsp. salt (if using the rice in a soup, you can omit the salt)
--1 Tbsp. butter

Combine all ingredients in a 2 quart baking dish and bake at 400 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until all liquid has been absorbed.

11 comments:

Anna said...

Looks delicious! I have never heard of cooking rice instead of boiling it. Do you always do all of your rice that way? Does it turn out the same as boiling?

Elizabethd said...

That sounds like a very warming soup, Sarah.

Rena said...

I never thought of baking rice! What a good idea. Great recipe; I might try it with lentils instead of rice.

It's getting cooler here because autumn is starting! Soup season is only just beginning...! :)

Rena said...

Sorry to comment twice, but I have a question! Why add pre-cooked chicken? Wouldn't it cook well enough in the slow cooker if added raw?

Thanks again!

7 Eagles said...

Looks wonderful, Sarah, and perfect for today in Texas! (rainy and gloomy). I had the same question as Rena above...I've had good luck cooking raw chicken on high in the crockpot, for about 5 hours. I might give that a go and see how it works.

Love the idea of baking the rice...I will definitely try that!

~ Betsy

Sarah said...

Thanks, Anna!

We make our rice this way most of the time as it is easier. It turns out quite similar to boiling, but seems less ‘clumpy’ and maybe a little drier, too. We found that we actually prefer it to boiled!

Sarah said...

It is, Elizabeth!

Sarah said...

We hadn’t either, Rena, until fairly recently – we were pleasantly surprised at how simple and easy it is! If you do try the soup with lentils, hope you enjoy. :) And enjoy your Autumn and soup season, too! They are both always a treat after the hot summers.

Good question! And I should have mentioned that in the post . . . yes, raw chicken can certainly be used as well. In fact, that is the way the original recipe has it, and we used to do that in this soup and have done it in other soups/crock pot meals, too.

For us, though, it works easier to use pre-cooked meat - since we use chicken/rabbit interchangeably in our dishes and since when we butcher our rabbits and chickens (and with the latter take only the breast and thigh/leg portions since they are almost always older birds and we don’t have the setup for traditional butchering), we pre-cook almost all of the meat in large quantities and then package it in meal size portions in the freezer. So then when we are ready to make a dish with chicken/rabbit, it’s already cooked, shredded, and ready to go!

So since that is the way we've done it, that's how our recipe is. :) But when sharing it here, I should have mentioned that raw chicken can be used in place of cooked and then simply shred it right before serving. Thanks for asking!

Sarah said...

Thank you, Betsy! Spring is certainly taking its time in arriving and staying isn’t it?!

That is a good question and I answered it in reply to Rena’s comment right above this one. I should have included this information in the original post!

If you try baking the rice, I hope it works just as well for you as it has for us!

Salinn said...

This soup sounds and looks delicious. I am hoping to make it soon. Maybe this week. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

I had never heard of baked rice. It sounds interesting. I think I may try that soon too.

Sarah said...

Thank you for your comment, Salinn! If you try either (or both) the soup or rice recipes, I hope you and your family enjoy them!