Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Starting Seeds

We have had some glorious days here recently with the temperature sometimes climbing into the 60's and 70's! And despite the colder temp. and blustery winds of today, it still feels like this winter is finally coming to a close and that spring is on its way.

Signs of the coming season are all around, and I have been thoroughly enjoying it all . . . daffodils peeking above the surface of the ground, birds singing, warm breezes blowing (some days! :), honeybees buzzing around, spring peepers 'singing' (I always love hearing them for the first time each year), flocks of snow geese calling and flying high overhead, and more. My favorite time of year is awakening!

In preparation for the coming spring, I started the first seeds indoors a few weeks ago . . . celery, eggplant, cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower; and this past Saturday, planted the peppers. Tomatoes will be last seeds to be started indoors, and they'll be planted later this week.

Seed trays, seeds, and popsicle sticks to be used as plant markers


As I planted the tiny seeds, covered them with a layer of dirt, and anticipated the coming growth and harvest, I thought of how parallel this is to our own lives. We are continually planting seeds . . .

-- Seeds of joy
 -- love
-- wisdom
-- peace
-- patience
-- truth
-- and more.

Or seeds of anger
-- worry
-- fear
-- frustration
-- selfishness
-- pride
-- and more.

It was a poignant and convicting reminder to my heart as to what kind of seeds am I planting? What 'harvest' would they produce? The thought that sharing the gospel and being a light of Christ are also seeds that I am to be sowing was convicting as well.


What seeds are you planting?

" . . . for whatever a man sows, this he will also reap. For the one who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life. Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary.

Galatians 6:7b-9 
(while speaking specifically of salvation in verse 8, the 
principle is there for obedience/disobedience as well!)

8 comments:

  1. The miracle of seed to plant to fruit never ceases to amaze me and bring such analogies to mind. Thank you for that reminder to watch what seeds I am planting today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it exciting when those first tiny leaves appear above ground! Our early lettuce, grown on the kitchen window sill are almost ready to plant out in the cold frame in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was listening to a sermon on the radio today while driving. It was about being a "light" to others. We do need to watch the kind of seeds we're planting, and be a light to others who need hope ~ Jesus. All the seeds of joy etc. you listed will show Jesus in us to someone who needs hope.
    God bless,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda Andrews SmithMarch 20, 2014

    Love this post, we too are starting seeds and looking forward to seeing them grow, but also looking at our "seeds" we can plant for our Lord and watch Him work to spring forth into others lives. In our world today, seeds of God's love, joy, peace and grace are much needed. Thankful He is allowing me to plant~~

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would agree, Anna! And you’re welcome. :) It is one we all need, I think!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is indeed, Elizabeth! There is something so wonderful about seeing new plant life growing and those first green shoots. That is exciting about your lettuce! I am sure you are looking forward to those fresh from the garden salads.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am always so blessed by the things that you share, Mrs. Anne! Thank you for your comment . . . it was an encouragement to me. And yes, the ‘good seeds’ are indeed a light of Christ to those who need His hope!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was so good to hear from you again, Linda! I hope that your seeds grow and eventually produce very well for you.

    Thank you for what you shared, I really appreciated reading it . . . it was a blessing to me!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! Each one is read and enjoyed. :)