Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Branson Trip Part 2

This post has certainly taken it's time in coming, hasn't it?! Sorry for the delay!

Picking up where I left off . . . Friday dawned early for us as we had a big day planned. First on the agenda was visiting a nearby park . . .

The first winding trail we took . . . it was so picturesque with the dogwoods blooming along it

It was such a beautiful place, and we thoroughly enjoyed our time there!

Emily, Dave, Laura, Leah and Tim looking at . . . a tree maybe? If I am remembering correctly, they were trying to identify it.

The stone homestead on the property which was built in the early 1900's

Laura and the overlook

From this point, there was a "stone step" trail that went down the side of the bluff. Hand laid stones made most of the trail, and we had fun going down it all the way to the bottom!

At the top of the trail

Another view

Laura and Tim

Dave and Leah

Some of the stones steps

A winding path between two sets of steps

Leah, Emily, Dave and Tim

Discussing amongst ourselves how this rock wall might have been made

Laura - it was so nice to be able to spend so much time with her! She is a very a dear friend and has blessed me in so many ways.

Finally at the bottom and ready to explore this beautiful place!

 Me, Leah, Tim, Emily and Dave after reaching the bottom of the trail

Laura photographing

Dave climbing part of the way up the rock wall


Leah and I


Leah

Emily

Exploring

Leah and Emily both went down here, but after remembering that a place like it is a prime location for snakes, they decided that further explorations would not be advisable. :)

Looking up

Getting ready to head back

A little lizard along the trail . . . you can't see it in the photo, but his throat patch was brilliant blue

A type of trillium

Flowers blooming along the stone wall


Laura taking a photo of Emily at what appeared to be an entrance into what could have been a garden at one point.

Leah after reaching the top of the trail

Leah and Emily looking at the chicken house

I loved this path and stone wall!

Leah and I

We're thinking this structure was for turkeys

Emily, Leah and Laura

A beautiful swallowtail on one of the many lilac blooms.

Laura taking a picture of the swallowtail

Leah, Emily, Dave and Tim

Leah, Emily, Dave, Tim and Laura enjoying the view

And all of us! (Photo courtesy of the picnic table and my camera's self-timer. :)

After our time at the park, we had lunch and then headed to the Titanic Museum. What a neat experience that was! We all really enjoyed it, and probably my favorite part was the room honoring the musicians as well as reading about a preacher who while in the water after the ship sank, was sharing the gospel and pleading with those around him to believe in Jesus Christ as their Savior. What a powerful testimony!

Taking photos inside the museum isn't allowed so the only ones I have are these from the outside which Laura took . . .

Dave, Emily, Leah and I


Once we had finished at the museum, we went back to our hotel to rest a bit before the conference began that evening. Our friends had brought some games so Laura, Emily, Tim and I went down to the lobby and played an Andy Griffith game. Not being very familiar with those shows, it made it rather interesting! :) Laura and I were on a team and Emily and Leah were on a team . . . you can imagine the fun and laughter that was enjoyed!

Tim reading a question for Leah and Emily

 Think, think, think! 
(All our thinking didn't work, though, as we still didn't get the question right. :)
 
Before long, it was time to head to the conference, and coming up next will be a post about that!

12 comments:

  1. It looks you had perfect weather for your exploration time. What a pretty place. The homestead is crying for a family to live there. I love stone houses.

    I am looking forward to reading about the conference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photography! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely series of photos, Sarah. I'm glad you managed one of all of you, with the aid of the camera!
    It felt a bit sad to see that little homestead, alone and unloved. It must have made you wonder about the families who once lived there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed looking at all the photos and reading the last two posts about your times with Leah and your friends. In this post, one of my favourite pictures is of swallowtail on one of the many lilac blooms. That is so beautiful! I love butterflies and lilac blooms. Is swallowtail one of the butterfly or a moth? I don't know the difference between butterfly and a moth except that moths are smaller and less colourful than butterflies right? My other favourite picture is of you and Laura thinking. It didn't look like you were thinking, more like you were trying so hard not to laugh that you don't know the answer. Am I right? ;)

    I can't wait to read about your upcoming conference post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! It all looks like so much fun! I'm sure all of you made many good memories. :-)I loved the photos, Sarah! I think my favorites (although they are all really nice)are the first one, of the path, and the pictures of you and Leah on the rocks and the stone wall.:-) What beautiful places to hike! And those kinds of adventures are even better when you have a group of good friends to enjoy it with! I'm glad you were able to go to the conference again this year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The weather was perfect, Suze, which we were thankful for! I know what you mean about the house . . . it was sad to see it all boarded up and uninhabited!

    The post about the conference should be coming soon. Posts like that take me a little longer to put together and especially so right now with how busy it has been!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Elizabeth!

    It is sad seeing the homestead abandoned and run down like it was. I can't remember all of the history if it, but I do know that the man who owned it built it as a vacation home in 1911 and when he died, the homestead was sold. It sounds like the home may have been lived in up until the point that the land was donated to the city by the owners in the 90's as a natural wilderness area. So that's a bit of its history!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am glad that you enjoyed them, Leah! I can see why you like butterflies and lilac blooms . . . both are beautiful. :)

    A swallowtail is a butterfly, and there are several differences between a butterfly and a moth though it isn’t always that the moths are less colorful, though often that can be the case! Two of the most distinct differences are that moths have ‘feathery’ antenna whereas butterflies don’t and moths also have fuzzy bodies and butterflies don’t. I hope that helps!

    Your comment about Laura and I made me laugh! We were indeed thinking :) . . . though maybe were trying not to laugh, too!

    The conference post should be up sometime in the next week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was, Karen! And yes, we certainly did.

    I’m glad that you enjoyed the photos! The places were indeed beautiful. I would love to go back to the second place sometime and explore the rest of the trails. There are quite a few of them!

    They are indeed! And to think that we may be enjoying that together in just a few weeks . . . I’m hoping everything works out!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! Each one is read and enjoyed. :)