Friday, June 20, 2014

Blackberries or Raspberries?

The berries in what we had thought was a small blackberry patch are just beginning to ripen so yesterday afternoon, I went berry picking. While picking the deliciously sweet berries off of the tangled patch of briers, I remembered someone mentioning to me that the berries might actually be raspberries.

A quick internet search confirmed it! So instead of blackberries, we have black raspberries . . . .


From what I read, one of the easiest ways to tell the difference between the two is that when raspberries are picked, there is no stem/receptacle left inside the berry, but instead, they have a rounded hollow. They look like this . . .


Blackberries on the other hand, have a white receptacle still inside. Another difference is that the raspberry leaves have a silvery undercolor whereas the blackberry leaves are simply a pale green.

The first picking . . . and there are a bunch more ripe and ready to pick today

It's always fun to be able to harvest and use wild fruits right off of our land! And yesterday the above berries were turned into this raspberry crisp . . .

The crisp with goat milk ice cream that Leah made last night

This recipe was a new one, and I made a few alterations to it. The original can be found here, and here is my version . . .

Raspberry Crisp

  -- 4 cups fresh raspberries
    -- A bit less than 1/4 cup honey (I used our milder early spring honey)
    -- 1/3 cup plus 4 tablespoons whole wheat pastry flour, divided
    -- 3/4 cup quick-cooking oats
    -- a little less than 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
    -- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed

    In a large bowl, gently toss raspberries with honey and 4 tablespoons flour. Transfer to a greased 9-in. square baking dish (I'm going to use an 8-in. next time.) In another large bowl, combine the oats, brown sugar and remaining flour; cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over berries. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Enjoy!

15 comments:

  1. Oh Yum! That look delicious! I'm going to save that recipe for when I get some berries! <3 Thanks for sharing Sarah! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious! I think raspberries are less thorny than blackberries also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh so yummy!! Tomorrow is shopping day .. need to pick up some pastry flour. I will grind down my whole oats, thaw out the berries and make this delicious treat this weekend. Your garden grows the most wonderful things. Many blessings from Phoenix.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks wonderful. Now wondering which wild berry WE have been picking. PS, have you seen my FB question RE: chamomile?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linda Andrews SmithJune 21, 2014

    Sarah thanks for sharing! We just found what we thought were blackberries on our place this morning and know now they are raspberries! We only had a hand full ripe, but lots more on the vines. The recipe sounds great. Enjoy your summer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look delicious. If you could export them here you could do well as they sell at $7 for 150 g. Raspberries etc are a rare treat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks so good! Wow, Sarah...homemade crisp made with your own handpicked raspberries, topped with homemade ice cream made with goats milk from your own goats!:-) I had to chuckle...y'all have come a long way from recipes that called for velveeta cheese! Here's to healthier eating!:-)

    ~ Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. You’re welcome, Tabitha! Hope you all enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you’re right, Elizabeth, and it makes picking easier!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have you been able to figure out which ones they are, Tammy? Either way, both are good. (: Yes, I did and replied, and thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You’re welcome, Linda! I’m glad this helped you identify your berries. Have fun baking with them!

    Thank you! I hope you enjoy yours as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. They are, Suze! Even if we could export them, I don’t think we’d ever have any leftover to do so :), they are really good!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your comment made me laugh, Betsy! We have learned a bit, haven’t we? It’s so fun learning how to cook/bake with healthful ingredients and to utilize the produce, milk, etc. that we produce ourselves!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Somehow my reply to your comment got lost, Roxanne. Sorry about that!

    What I had wanted to share :) was, welcome to my blog, and thank you for your kind comment! And I hope that you enjoyed the raspberry crisp.

    Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am going to have to try that Raspberry crisp soon. It sounds so good! Yum!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! Each one is read and enjoyed. :)