Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Snippets from June

June . . . the month when spring makes it exit and summer officially arrives. It's been a wonderful month so far full of the simple pleasures of the season . . .

-- Clean clothes hanging on the line and blowing in the breeze

-- An array of wildflowers blooming

-- The summer bird residents filling the air with their songs and catching bugs in our yard and garden

-- Beautiful evenings with crickets chirping, frogs singing, and brilliant stars lighting up the night-time sky

-- Cool mornings with everything heavy-laden with dew

-- A growing garden

I am so enjoying this time of year! Though it has been flying by a little faster than I would like. :)

Here's a little glimpse into some of what has been filling these busy June days . . .


Selling Goats

 
When we had advertised some of our goats back in May, all of them sold within a week except for Leah's last buckling (above). After re-photographing and re-listing him, he finally sold last week which was a relief!

I have one more doe that I am getting ready to sell now . . .


We have a fairly lengthy waiting list for our does so once we get her tattooed and she's ready to sell, hopefully she'll go quickly!


Soap Orders


I had a couple of bulk soap orders recently, and the one in the above photo was twenty-five Lavender Oatmeal bars that were going to be used as favors at a baby shower (hence why they are all individually tied with twine.) It was fun to make these and get them ready to go!


Making Cheese and Yogurt

When your refrigerator looks like this inside. . .



You know it's time to do something with milk!

So part of today found me in the kitchen turning 2 1/2 gallons of milk into yogurt, mozzarella cheese, and ricotta cheese.


Ricotta in process

And in between steps when I wasn't hanging laundry on the line, washing dishes or doing other various household tasks, I enjoyed some quiet time continuing to read through Job . . .



Harvesting Produce



Bottling and Labeling Honey for Farmer's Market

 (And for the curious, the brown on the labels is simply where I 'painted' over our address. :)


And last but certainly not least . . . 

Enjoying time with Friends . . . 

A number of years ago, a blog reader, Karen, sent me an e-mail and thus began an e-mail correspondence between us. And this month we were able to meet in person! She and most of her siblings were passing through Missouri with their Dad who was traveling on business, and while he was at a workshop, they were able to come visit.

We had a really enjoyable day together! It was filled with: encouraging conversations about anything from cheese making, to witnessing, to goat raising, to growing in Christ and more; going to a nearby trail and walking and enjoying the beautiful scenery; and playing music and singing together. Thank you all so much for coming!


Leah and Victoria on the trail

Swallow nests up on the bluffs

The very full Missouri River


All of us
(photo courtesy of a fence and my camera's self-timer. :) 

An interesting sight . . . trees growing directly out of the rock bluffs!


This father and daughter had been biking the trail, and we passed them twice while there and each time, they really enjoyed petting Kymber!


Everyone 
(except for me who was taking the photo.)

At our place visiting some of the goats

 Karen
(It was so nice to finally meet you! And your siblings, too :)

 So that's some of what has been filling our month of June thus far!

10 comments:

  1. thanks for sharing your June with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a lovely month of June over your way, Sarah.:-) Again, I love what a peaceful and pleasant lifestyle y'all live! On the goat sales...I assume you are keeping some of them, to continue making your soaps, continue breeding them, etc?

    The ricotta looks interesting! I had viewed a video on making mozzarella, but frankly, it looked like a lot of work for me. But I might like to try the ricotta--could you share the recipe sometime?

    Your Bible looks very clean and neat! Do you ever mark it up?

    ~ Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it all, Sarah, thanks again.

    I'm guessing the cheese was made out of goat milk? Do you use it for everything, no cow's milk? That'd be very healthy I think.

    ~Rena

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your lifestyle, Sarah, thanks for such an inspiring post, as always !
    Best Regards
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're welcome, Suze!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It has been, Betsy! Yes, we will indeed be keeping some of our does! We just are selling off some of the younger ones. After posting this, though, I’m wondering if I might want to keep the young doe in this post instead and then sell one of my older does . . . hmm . . . hard decision! :)

    Mozzarella is a lot of work, and why I don’t make it terribly often. Ricotta is simple to make, though! I always make it from the whey leftover from the mozzarella, but I think you can make it with straight milk as well. I’ll look into that and share the recipe sometime for you.

    Yes, my Bible is very marked up! Just not right here in Job. :) There are some sections underlined, but they can’t be seen very well in the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’m glad you enjoyed it, Rena, and you’re welcome!

    Yes, the cheese was made out of goat milk. We don’t use it for everything as we still purchase a number of dairy products made with cow’s milk. For fresh drinking, though, and some cheese and ice cream, we use the goat milk. It's fun to learn different ways to use it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Sarah,
    It was so wonderful to finally meet you in person! I'm so thankful that we were able to come! All of us enjoyed our time with you and Leah, and we were so encouraged by all the sweet fellowship and singing, etc.
    Thanks so much for having us! :-)
    Karen, for all of us. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your comment certainly brightened my day, Karen! I have been thinking of you all and praying for you during your trip, and am glad to hear that you are back home safely. I hope that the rest of your trip went very well and that you had special and memorable times with all of those you were able to visit!

    I am so glad that you all were able to come and that we were able to spend that time together. Leah and I enjoyed it very much! If you’re ever down this way again, you’ll have to let us know!

    You are more than welcome, and thank you so much for coming!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're welcome, Amy, and thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! Each one is read and enjoyed. :)