Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Refreshment

Yesterday after my Mom, Leah and I got back home after running errands in town, there was a little bit of time before dinner needed to be started, so I took the opportunity to take a walk around some of our place.

It was so peaceful out, and it was such a refreshing and restful time! Thinking and praying while enjoying the beauty in God's creation . . . stopping by a patch of flowers to watch some bees and butterflies gathering nectar . . . watching three playful squirrels scamper around in the trees above my head . . . seeing a flycatcher catch bugs down by the wild plum trees . . . taking in the beauty of the various flowers blooming . . . feeling the cool breeze blowing . . . .

Part way through, I was wishing I had brought my camera along so I went back to the house to get it, and then took the below photos . . .

A coneflower

And a bee enjoying one of them

A blooming daylily

This little flycatcher was fun to watch!

Walking down our driveway

I know this Musk Thistle is an invasive species, but it is certainly beautiful! 
Though it won't be there for long. :)

Sumac

And a special treat that we've been enjoying this year . . . a nest of Carolina Wrens! Earlier this spring, I discovered that they had built a nest in one of the rabbit nestboxes that wasn't being used. Now they have at least four little hungry babies in it! It is going to be fun to watch them over the next few weeks as they continue to grow and then begin to fly.

As I took in the many things around me, my heart turned in thankfulness to the One who made such diverse beauty which reflects His great wisdom and power. How great He is! And to think that He is the One who is my Shepherd, the One who faithfully guides my footsteps, the One who gives so many abundant blessings, the One who continues to teach and mold me . . . and He never changes. He is constant and always true, always faithful, always there.

"As for God, His way is blameless; 
the word of the LORD is tried;
He is a shield to all who take refuge in Him.
For who is God, but the LORD?
And who is a rock except our God"

"Therefore I will give thanks to You among the nations, O LORD,
And I will sing praises to Your great name."
Psalm 18:30-31, 49

(These verses are some of the ones that stood out to me when reading this Psalm a few evenings ago.)

7 comments:

  1. Those quiet moments out of doors are when God's amazing gifts seem so real. I do much the same in my little garden, loving His beauty, amazed by butterflies and bees, touched by opening buds. A garden is a place where one can feel so close to our Creator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photography, Sarah! And thank you for letting me come along on your walk :).

    Have you ever made sumac tea? We had some at a friend's house a couple of years ago and it was so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, Sarah. Photos of baby birds with their beaks wide open always make me think, that's what it really means to hunger and thirst after righteousness! Not just a little request every now and then; but constantly and desperately and with full knowledge of our own helplessness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very true, Elizabeth! I can picture you out in your garden enjoying those things . . . it’s another blessing of gardening, isn’t it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Anna! I’m glad you enjoyed ‘coming along’.

    No, I have not made it before, nor have I ever heard of it. It sounds interesting! If I were a tea drinker I’d have to try making it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Rena! And thank you for sharing those thoughts as well. They are a good reminder! Another thought that came to my mind is the complete dependency that the baby birds have on their parents . . . they aren’t worrying about their next meal or wondering if they will be cared for, but they simply trust and take from the parent birds what is given them. It reminds me of the verse in Scripture about not worrying, but to instead observe how the Father cares for even the birds of the air. There are so many object lessons one can learn from nature!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love coneflowers! Beautiful verses!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! Each one is read and enjoyed. :)