Saturday, October 18, 2014

Two Quick and Easy Breakfast Recipes

 One of the (many!) homemaking goals that I have had over the past few years was to compile quick and easy breakfast recipes. Thanks to cookbooks, the internet, and those of you who shared recipes with me when I did a post asking for your favorites, that section of my recipe binder has grown considerably!

With how full mornings can sometimes be here, it's nice to have recipes which are quick to put together or can be made the night before. These two recipes are ones that fit the first category, and in not much time at all, something delicious can be baking in the oven . . . .


 Quick and Easy Cinnamon Biscuits

-2 1/2 cups flour
-1 tablespoon baking powder
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-1/2 cup butter
-1 cup milk
-softened butter
-brown sugar
-cinnamon
-1/2 cup powdered sugar
-1 tablespoon milk

Blend first three ingredients. Cut in butter. Add milk and mix. On a floured surface, roll dough out into a rectangle. Spread with softened butter and then sprinkle with desired amount of cinnamon and brown sugar. Roll up and slice. Place biscuits in two, round greased baking pans. Bake at 450° for 15 minutes. Blend powdered sugar and milk for glaze and pour over warm biscuits.

Baked oatmeal fresh out of the oven and with morning sunlight streaming in

(This recipe came from a blog reader, Anna . . . thank you again for sharing! :)

Baked Oatmeal
(I always halve this recipe for our family of four and like to add cinnamon to it as well.)

-4 eggs
-3/4 cup oil
-3/4 cup honey
-6 cups uncooked oatmeal
-1 Tbsp. +1 tsp. baking powder
-1 tsp. salt
-2 cups milk

Beat eggs; add oil and honey. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Put into a 9 x 13 inch baking pan (or an 8 x 8 if you halve the recipe) and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until done.

10 comments:

  1. I am going to try the cinnamon recipe, it sounds easy to do and with no yeast it must be quick...I hope!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to see that you were able to use a recipe that I sent! We add cinnamon, too, I guess I failed to mention that. :)

    The cinnamon biscuits look delicious! I've probably asked you this before so I'm sorry for asking again, but I wondered if you use whole wheat flour. We do, and I sometimes find it challenging to make some recipes. I can almost see the cinnamon biscuit dough breaking apart as I try to roll it up . . . but since I haven't tried it yet maybe it wouldn't! It might not be the whole wheat; maybe it is just something that I'm doing. Have you ever run into problems like that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. hello sarah,
    your cinnamon bisquit look delicious!!!!
    thanks for sharing the recipe.i will it try!
    have a nice week,
    regina

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cinnamon rolls look so good & with eight children I am going to have a go, anything cinnamon is always a winner.
    Fondly Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you like it, Elizabeth! And yes, it is quick. I think it takes me about 30 minutes from the time I start making them until they come out of the oven ready to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use the baked oatmeal recipe a lot, Anna! It’s one of our favorites. :) Thanks again for sharing it! I think I might try adding fruit to it sometime, too, and see how that works. Now that I think of it, you may have mentioned about adding cinnamon! (though not as part of the actual recipe. :)

    I do use whole wheat flour in a lot of things, and have sometimes run into the same challenges you probably have as well. It’s definitely a different type of baking using whole wheat!

    For some recipes, I do varying ratios of whole wheat flour and all-purpose flour – sometimes 50/50 sometimes 75/25. For biscuits, though, I have not had success with them unless I use entirely all-purpose flour so that is what I did for this recipe. Next time, I might try substituting just a bit of the all-purpose with wheat and see what happens.

    As far as dough breaking apart when rolling it up, is it possible your dough is too dry? That was the first thought that came to mind when I read what you shared!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Regina, and I hope you enjoy the recipe!

    And by the way, welcome to my blog. :) It was nice to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Michelle! I think that this recipe would be a definite hit with children! And adults, too, for that matter. :) Hope you all enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Sarah! I found your blog a few days ago, and I like your blog. I just wanted to say that don't use cassia cinnamon, because cassia cinnamon is harmful. Ceylon cinnamon is better.

    your sister in Jesus Messiah,

    Miriam

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome to my blog, Miriam, and thank you for mentioning that! I hadn't heard that before and will look into it further. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! Each one is read and enjoyed. :)