Saturday, December 20, 2014

Chair Restoration ~ Sanding

Last weekend it was beautiful outdoors with warm temperatures and a gentle breeze. I took advantage of the pleasant weather and set up a table outside and sanded nearly all of the chair pieces which was fun! It took quite a long time as the chairs were in pretty rough shape. They have not only been well-used, but have also been ill-used so it took a lot of sanding to clean them up.

It looks like they spent some time out in the elements and perhaps sat in water for a bit as well. Before stripping them, quite a bit of the finish had already worn off, and in many spots, the grain was raised and was quite rough.

Some parts of the wood also looked like this . . .

Before sanding

You can see the grooves running along the grain where some of the softer parts of the wood are missing. There are also quite a few places where there are/were small scrapes and gouges in the wood and a few small splits as well. I sanded smooth everything that I could, and what is left will just add character to the chairs. :)

The back of one of the chairs after the initial sanding . . . it still needed to be fine-sanded when this photo was taken.

I really enjoyed working on this step! I think sanding just might be my favorite part of the refinishing process. I love the feel of the wood underneath my hands as it slowly transforms from rough to smooth!

The dowels and front chair legs to one of the chairs

 I didn't quite get all of the sanding done over the weekend so finished the last chair seat a few days ago. Now the pieces are all ready to be put back together again!

I am glad I was able to get most of the sanding done when I did as the warm, dry weather didn't last long. Just a few days later it looked like this outdoors . . .

A Black-Capped Chickadee on the feeder

We got a little bit of snow! Not much, but it certainly was pretty while it lasted. :)

4 comments:

  1. I admire your industry. Enjoy the snow and the cooler weather and the changes that come with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you've done a good job sanding. Beautiful photo of the outdoors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will, Suze! Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! Each one is read and enjoyed. :)