Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Welcoming a New Year

And so the chapter closes on 2014 . . . with all of its joys, sorrows, special times and memories, heartaches, learning, growth, changes, fun times, new experiences, and more. I cannot put into words what all is on my heart as we leave this past year behind and enter the new year.  I never would have guessed where all God would end up leading me, or my family, in 2014 . . . and now another year is before us with only He knowing what lies ahead.

There is a passage from Proverbs that I have been thinking a lot about this past month . . .

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight.” Proverbs 3:5-6

If I were to pick a ‘theme verse’ for this coming year, I think this would be it! It is a very encouraging and convicting reminder to lean not on my own very limited understanding and perspective of things, and to trust instead in our all-knowing and wise Father, Who sees everything from the beginning to the end and Who knows what is best for us.

And as we trust in Him with all our heart and “acknowledge Him in all [our] ways”, then “He will make [our] paths straight.” Isn’t that an incredible and encouraging promise?

As I step into this empty new year that is just waiting to be filled, I look forward to wherever God will lead. It is my heart’s desire that with whatever lies ahead, to moment by moment, day by day, trust Him fully, acknowledging Him in all of my ways, and letting Him guide me down the paths He has for me, embracing whatever He gives “as from a Father’s hand”, as the old hymn goes.

 Already there are exciting opportunities for ministry and service which could end up being a big part of Leah’s and my year (I look forward to sharing more about these in the coming weeks!) . . . before long it will be time to start planning the garden and starting seeds (already?!) . . . spring and summer days with all their busyness will come again . . . and this precious life that God has given to each of us will, Lord willing, continue to be lived out in the coming weeks and months.

May each of us embrace whatever God gives us or allows in our lives in the year 2015 . . . using this year to grow in Him, to serve others and share His love, to be a bright light for Christ, and more . . . not getting caught up in the temporal, but having our hearts and minds fixed on “things above” and seeing every moment as a gift and as an opportunity to glorify our Lord.

Over this next year, I am looking forward to continuing to blog and share glimpses with all of you of some of what will take place in this next year for us . . . and I look forward to hearing from you all, too, and perhaps seeing in part as to how God will lead each of you in your lives as well!


From our family to yours . . . have a blessed New Year!

20 comments:

  1. I am smiling from ear to ear. This morning I started a new book of readings especially for the morning. The first study was this verse. It is a brilliant reminder for us all.
    Happy New Year to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy new year Sarah! I love your picture Sarah! You're beautiful & I love your family picture too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A blessed New year to you Sarah & all of your family. Mariex

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year, dear Sarah! What a lovely photo of you and your family.
    I look forward to reading more about your projects for this new year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Sarah,

    It has been such a long time since I commented here, but I really wanted to take the opportunity to wish you all a happy and blessed new year. As you have shared, 2014 will have had joyous times for many of us, but also sadness and heartache. I know that has certainly been the case for me too! But it is so good to remember that we can trust a God Who is all knowing and all powerful and believe that "no good thing will he withhold". There is nothing outside of His control, and He will work all things together for our good!

    Praying that 2015 will be a blessed year for you and all your family and that you will know the Lord's guiding hand throughout it.

    Anna x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New Year, Sarah! I'm excited to see what God will do in my life this year and get to watch what He will do in yours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Year, Sarah, to you and your family. Beautiful post, ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've chosen a great theme verse for this coming year. Very nice family photo! God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Many thanks to you and your family, Sarah. Your blog posts are always helpful to me, and I'm always thankful to see you still encouraged in faith each time you post.

    I wish you all a new year of growth and faith!

    Rena

    p.s. I particularly enjoyed your recent soap making post; I've been away from the internet for a while and had a few posts to catch up on, which was very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Linda Andrews SmithJanuary 02, 2015

    Happy New Year Sarah to you and your family. This is one of my favorite verses that I go to many times a day. Thanks for sharing parts of your lives with us. The pictures are great and look forward to hearing how God is working in your life in this new year. May God richly bless you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your comment brought a smile to my face, Suze! How interesting that the first study in your book was about these verses from Proverbs. They are wonderful ones for the New Year, aren’t they? And yes, definitely a good reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you, Leah, for your sweet comment!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you, Elizabeth! I look forward to sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. It was so good to hear from you again, Anna! Thank you for your sweet and encouraging comment. Just a few weeks ago I was thinking of you and wondering how you were doing. I hope well!

    It sounds like your year has been a parallel to mine at least in some respects . . . joyous times, but also sadness and heartache. Thank you for sharing all that you did about trusting God, how He works all things for good, etc. . . . it was an encouragement to read!

    Thank you so much . . . praying the same for you!

    I was hoping to reply to your second comment through e-mail, but I don’t think I have your address anymore. If you’d like to send me an e-mail, my address is aslilies @ gmail.com (minus the spaces.:) I would be happy to reply via e-mail!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you, Anna, for your sweet comment! I look forward to seeing what all God will do in your life this coming year, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you, Rena, for your kind comment! I am so glad that you enjoy visiting here and that in some way, this blog has been able to be a blessing to you. And I’m glad, too, that you enjoyed the soapmaking post. :)

    Thank you, and the same to you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you, Linda! These verses are some of my favorites, too, and even more so right now. They are not only convicting, but encouraging and comforting as well!

    You are very welcome, and thank you for your kind comment!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! Each one is read and enjoyed. :)