Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Natural Cleaner ~ Toilet Cleaning Fizzies

It is always fun making ones' own household cleaners! At least for me it is. :) Not only is the process enjoyable, but I really like knowing that what we are using in our home is not harmful to us. Most of what we use to clean with so far is simply vinegar and baking soda which work well for many things. I have also been making other natural cleaners such as furniture dust spray (the recipe of which will be coming eventually) and fairly recently: Toilet Cleaning Fizzies.


These are so easy to make! And they work well, too. I found the original recipe on the Wellness Mama blog, and took some ideas from other recipes as well (they are all pretty similar.)

Here is the recipe and method I came up with which makes approximately 40 . . .

Toilet Bowl Cleaning Fizzies

- 2 cups baking soda
- 2/3 cup citric acid
- 40 drops lemon essential oil*
- 40 drops lavender essential oil*
- Water in a spray bottle

*I chose these essential oils for their antimicrobial properties . . . and plus, I just like the smell of lavender, and lemon just smells clean!
 
 Combine the baking soda and citric acid into a glass bowl. Stir together well, breaking up any clumps (when working with the citric acid and baking soda, it is recommended to wear gloves and a face mask to keep from breathing in the powders as you stir.)


Scatter the drops of essential oils across the top of the baking soda/citric acid mixture . . .



Stir/cut in the essential oils with a fork until well mixed (kind of in the same way you would when using a pastry blender to cut in butter when making a pie crust.)

Mist the top of the mixture with water (I did two sprays.) Stir/cut in water. Repeat until the mixture is just moist enough to clump together when compressed.

There is a delicate balance here as if too much water is added, your mixture will do its 'fizzing' in advance and won't work as well when the toilet fizzies are actually ready to use. Each time that I have made mine, I ended up using around 10-12 sprays to achieve the right consistency (and one time making them, I could have used a little more.)

When the right consistency is reached, scoop a tablespoon of the mixture up and with your fingers, compress the mixture into the tablespoon, smoothing the top with your fingers.


(Just a note for the curious, I had been wearing gloves, but took them off when taking photos so as not to get any powders on my camera.)

Carefully turn over onto a sheet of wax paper, and tap the tablespoon on the paper to release. Repeat until all of them are made. (Or you can use decorative silicon molds instead of a tablespoon and simply press the mixture into those.)





Let them dry at least overnight (I prefer letting them go a couple of days just to make sure they are fully dry.) Once they are completely dry, store them in a glass container or a sealed plastic bag and use them as needed. Pretty simple, isn't it? :)

And just a little tip, if for some reason yours end up too powdery after setting (mine did once!), you can mist them lightly with water. They will fizz a bit on the outside, but then will harden enough to store. The ones in the jar in the photo had been lightly misted in order to make them harden just a bit more.

The way I use them is to drop one into the toilet bowl, let it fizz and then set for maybe 15 minutes or so, and then scrub with a toilet brush. Since we have quite hard water, I always spray vinegar up around the rim, too, which helps get rid of any hard water deposits. For us, these work just as well or better than commercial cleaners, are natural, and are relatively easy to make!

6 comments:

  1. Linda Andrews SmithJanuary 09, 2015

    Thanks Sarah I will be trying these. Love homemade. BTW did you and Leah get your hair cut? New Pictures look sort of like you did, if so did ya'll donate your hair for cancer patients? Have a great week and God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Sarah,
    Thank you for sharing the recipe, I'll try to make these. I wanted to ask that did you get my email, which I send to the address which was mentioned in your other blog?
    I would really like to discuss with you.
    Miriam

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're welcome, Linda! I hope the recipe works well for you!

    You are right. :) Leah and I have gotten our hair cut a number of times this past year, so yes, it is shorter than it had been. No, we didn't donate our hair, though, as we never had enough cut off each time to do so.

    I hope you have a great week as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're welcome, Miriam! If you try making these, I hope it goes well for you!

    Yes, I did get your e-mail and sent you a reply. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am always interested in new natural cleaning recipes! Thanks for sharing on the Art of Home-Making Mondays. I will be pinning it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're welcome, JES! If you try these, I hope they turn out well for you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! Each one is read and enjoyed. :)