Monday, February 23, 2015

Encouragement from Romans

Last week I finished reading Romans again, and one particular chapter I read through several times as it was especially encouraging to me when reading it this time. So much so that I wanted to share some portions of it here in the hopes that they will be an encouragement to your heart as well . . . 

(and I am 'borrowing' some spring/summer photos to go along with the verses as they seemed to fit better than winter ones! :)


"For in hope we have been saved, but hope that is seen is not hope; for who hopes for what he already sees? But if we hope for what we do not see, with perseverance we wait eagerly for it.

"In the same way, the Spirit also helps our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words; and He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He intercedes for the saints according to the will of God.

"And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose . . . .


"What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who is against us? He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him over for us all, how will He not also with Him freely give us all things?

"Who will bring a charge against God's elect? God is the one who justifies; who is the one who condemns? Christ Jesus is He who died, yes, rather who was raised who is at the right hand of God, who also intercedes for us.

"Who will separate us from the love of Christ? Will tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? . . . .


"But in all these things we overwhelmingly conquer through Him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord." 

Romans 8:24-28, 31-35, 37-39

14 comments:

  1. Seems like every time I read through Romans, I understand it a little better. Romans 8 is a chapter that never fails to encourage me.

    Haha! Judging by the pictures, somebody is ready for spring. (I know I am.)
    :)
    -Christina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing those verses, Sarah! Whenever I get discouraged I like to think about and read those passages. Those are some deep and amazing thoughts--and so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Sarah ~ these beautiful extracts from Romans give me such real hope.
    I chose the last one you mention to be read at my Mum's funeral, and often refer to it. Thank you! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Sarah,
    Thank you for sharing!! I LOVE those verses and it always encourages me to read or hear them!!!
    Blessings,
    Bethany

    ReplyDelete
  5. Romans is my favorite book of the Bible! As I've been reading through the entire Bible this year with a couple of friends (going in Chronological order) themes have come up over and over again that have pointed us to the book of Romans, and specifically to Romans 9. From the source of Abraham's righteousness, to the hardness of Pharaoh's heart, to the significance of the law, and much more. Romans 8 is definitely the high note of the book, but I can't think of a chapter more theologically rich than Romans 9. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the uplifting post. Love Romans 8. Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know what you mean Christina! I love that about God's Word . . . there is always something new to learn, some new depth to reach. It truly is “living and active.”

    Yes, you would be correct that somebody is quite ready for spring! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're welcome, Anna! I do the same, and they never fail to encourage. And yes, they are indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so glad that they could be an encouragement to you, Alex! How special that that verse was read at your Mum's funeral. It is very fitting . . . and it is so comforting to know that nothing at all can separate God's children from Him! And it gives a promise and a hope that those we love who are with Him in heaven, we will see again.

    You're welcome for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was really nice to hear from you again, Bethany! I have missed you!

    I love these verses, too, and I am so glad that they have encouraged you so much as well! You're welcome for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can see why you like Romans so much, Nick's Bride! It is a book filled with such deep spiritual truth, a beautiful and clear gospel message, and great encouragement and exhortation. Romans 9 does have much theological richness, and the rest of the theologically rich book helps to explain the message of Romans 9. It is amazing how Scripture can help to interpret Scripture!

    That is wonderful that you are reading through the Bible chronologically. I would like to do that some time as well . . . I would imagine it could give a deeper and richer understanding when reading it that way!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're welcome, Linda! And I hope that you have a blessed day as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sarah,

    There are probably lots of different "chronological" reading plans for reading through the Bible, but in case you are interested this is the plan my Mom, Grandma, and I are using:

    http://www.esv.org/assets/pdfs/rp.chronological.pdf

    I think it will be especially enlightening for us when we read through the histories/psalms/prophets and later on the four gospels in a roughly chronological way (simultaneously).

    It's been such fun to write and read emails with thoughts and insights from the day's reading assignment! We're all in different parts of the world right now, and this has been a great way for us to stay connected. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for sharing this link, Nick's Bride!

    I am sure you all have been enjoying reading through this together and then sharing thoughts and insights with one another via e-mail. That is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! Each one is read and enjoyed. :)