Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Ham Bone Bean Soup Recipe

I have a computer again! And to start off returning to blogging, here is a post that I had put together before my computer broke . . . .

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

It used to be when cooking or baking in the kitchen that I was strictly a recipe follower, now, though, I change and alter recipes quite often. It's fun to be able to do this! Not only altering recipes to make them more tasty, but also coming up with my own recipes.

One evening last week, Ham Bone Bean Soup was on the menu, and I had had somewhat of a base recipe (i.e. spice suggestions and how long to simmer) that I have always used for it, but somehow when I redid my recipe binder recently, it disappeared. So I made up my own this time! And after getting positive reviews from my family, I thought I would share the recipe here with you all as well . . . .


Ham Bone Bean Soup

- Approx. 3 cups dried beans, your choice 
(these are the ones I use: approximately 3/4 cup Great Northern, 1/4 cup Navy, 1/2 cup Lima, 1/4 cup Kidney, plus 1/8 cup Lentils, and 1/8 cup Split Peas)
- Leftover ham bone
- One medium onion, chopped
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. basil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp. thyme
- water
- Either 3-4 cups chopped fresh carrots, or one quart jar canned carrots (since we can a lot of carrots, I always use the latter.)
- *celery would be a great addition to this soup as well!

Rinse the beans. Place in a fairly large glass bowl, cover with water (with the water reaching a few inches above the beans) and soak overnight until ready to use the next day.


Drain the beans and place in large pot. Add the ham bone.  Add the chopped onion, salt, basil, bay leaf, and thyme. If you are using fresh carrots, add those now as well. Cover with water.

Heat to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 3 hours. (If using canned carrots, add those around 2 hours and 15 minutes after the soup begins simmering.) Remove ham bone and bay leaf. Remove meat from the bone and chop into small pieces. Add ham back to the soup. Heat through, and then serve and enjoy! (And fresh from the oven bread makes a great addition. :)

8 comments:

  1. Do you ever have troubles with your beans cooking unevenly?
    Whenever I mix bean types, one ends up mushy and the other too firm. xD
    Maybe it's because I don't soak them overnight. . . .

    I love ham bean soup!!! Thanks for posting!
    -Christina

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds delicious, and very warming in these Wintry days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds delicious! I think ham bones add wonderful flavor to bean dishes, and I am always excited when I have one to use.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back. You were missed. We have two frozen ham bones from Christmas. When the weather cools they will become soup.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When soaking them overnight, Christina, we haven't had a problem with some being too firm and others mushy. So you might want to give that a try!

    You're welcome for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is indeed, Elizabeth! That's one advantage of these cold winter days . . . they are perfect for soups!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They do add great flavor to soups, Sister in the Midwest! I am always glad when we have a ham bone, too. I'm not sure which I like more, having the actual ham or having the leftover bone to make soup with!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for your sweet comment, Suze!

    I am sure you are looking forward to making soup with your ham bones . . . and even more so the cooler weather when it comes!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! Each one is read and enjoyed. :)