Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Quilt Restoration and Some Thoughts to Share

As of late, I have had a little more time in the evenings so pulled out one of my 'winter handwork projects' to work on. It took awhile to figure out how best to repair this quilt, but now I have a plan!

 The quilt on the right is the one I am repairing first

Some of you may remember that this quilt was found at an antique store awhile back and for very little (due to its poor condition), and my first thought when seeing it was that it would make a great picnic quilt. It would be nice if it could work for a children's bed quilt, but even repaired, I do not think it could hold up to the rigors of daily use. Even though it's intended future is for a picnic quilt, it still needs to be in pretty good shape in order to be able to withstand things such as possibly having children crawling/walking/playing on it!

Two edges of the quilt had significant holes and fraying so the first step was to cut 3-4 inches off of those ends as well as about 3/4 of an inch off of another badly frayed edge.

One of the big holes on the edge

In the fabric scrap bins, I found a piece of white fabric that was enough to make a new binding. After cutting the strips, sewing them together, and pressing them in half, I sewed them around the edges of the quilt . . .


Now in the evenings, I have been working on folding the binding over the edge and handsewing it down. This is only the beginning of the hand sewing, though! The quilt top itself has one smaller hole through all of the layers and then around 80 of the little squares are either completely worn away or are badly frayed and will need to be replaced. So that is what is going to be keeping my hands busy during evenings for awhile. :)

On a different note, I'd like to share something I have been thinking quite a bit about the last several days . . . .

This past Sunday, my Dad was teaching on the first few verses in 1 Corinthians. As he taught, the other men gave input as well and brought in other Scriptures which led to a deep and thought-provoking discussion on part of verse 2 which reads "the church of God . . . who have been sanctified in Christ Jesus."

I'll share just a couple of the foundational things that were talked about and which stood out to me and were written down . . .

Those who are a part of "the church of God" (all believers) are "sanctified." Sanctified means "to be made holy" and "to be set apart", and it has two aspects to it . . .

1st) All believers are sanctified in Christ Jesus when they believe in Him. As Scripture teaches (1 Cor. 1:2 for example) all believers are 'saints' (or holy ones) in Christ as He has covered and forgiven their sins in His blood (i.e. Hebrews 13:12.) And we are saints not because of what we have done or do, but because of our position in Christ. Because of Christ, we are holy before God. Isn't that an amazing truth?

2nd) And we are also being sanctified. We still have this fleshly battle inside of us and still have to strive against sin and to "put on Christ." In 1 Peter 1:15 we are called to "like the Holy One who called you, be holy yourselves also in all your behavior." How convicting this is!

This second part of sanctification is a process in following God and growing in His Word and in obedience to Him. One of the men shared these verses from 2 Peter which illustrate in part this process:

". . . applying all diligence, in your faith supply moral excellence, and in your moral excellence, knowledge, and in your knowledge, self-control, and in your self-control, perseverance, and in your perseverance, godliness, and in your godliness, brotherly kindness, and in your brotherly kindness, love." (2 Peter 1:5-7.)

All of this is just a snippet of what was taught and discussed, and it was both encouraging and convicting. And as mentioned, it is something that I have given a lot of thought to the last few days. I had/have been struggling with some things, and what was taught and shared spoke to my heart. Both in being a reminder and an encouragement of who Christ is and what He has done (and is doing) for me, and then also what I am to be striving for . . . not being perfect (which none of us can be in this life!), yet growing in sanctification.

A verse that I read this morning from 2 Peter fit in well with all of this and was an encouragement to me:

". . . seeing that His divine power has granted to us everything pertaining to life and godliness, through the true knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and excellence." (2 Peter 1:3)

Did you notice the word "everything"? God has given us everything we need for living our lives in a manner that pleases Him and walking in godliness. Everything we need is right there for us! Through the knowledge of our perfect and holy God which is learned through His Word that He has given to us. And the One who has sanctified us when we believed in Him, will continue to help us grow in, and through, this sanctification process.

Anyway, this has been on my heart, and I just thought I would share. And I hope it was an encouragement to you as it was to me!

4 comments:

  1. The amazing truth to me is that we, who don't deserve it, have been given our sanctification through His sacrifice and His love.

    I hope you succeed with your quilt Sarah, it looks as though it has seen a lot of hard wear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post Sarah! Last year I read the devotional "Take Time to Be Holy" it focuses on the importance of sanctification in the life of believers. It was a blessing and encouragement to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That truth amazes me as well, Elizabeth! Thank you for articulating it. His sacrifice and great love for us is so much greater and broader than what our finite minds can even grasp! We have so much to thank Him for!

    Thank you! And yes, it has. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Sarah! The devotional you mentioned sounds like it would be good. I will take a look at it. :) I am glad that it was a blessing and encouragement to you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! Each one is read and enjoyed. :)