Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Simple Pleasures in the Everyday

The days have been so busy as of late! Spring busyness has arrived in full force, and we have all been enjoying it . . . garden work, outdoor projects, inspecting and working the beehives, keeping up with the mowing, sprucing up some of the goat pens and shelters, and more. Meanwhile fitting in all of the regular day-to-day tasks, volunteering, business work, farmers market, and other such things. Life certainly hasn't been dull!

Dewdrops on the strawberry plants

Amidst the busyness, I have been particularly enjoying and appreciating the little things that, for me, bring simple pleasures all throughout the days. Such as . . .

~ Shaking out the rugs and sweeping off the porch in the cool, refreshing morning air as a robin greets the morning with its beautiful song and sunshine begins filtering through the trees

~ Hanging several loads of laundry on the line while the grass is heavy-laden with dew and while being serenaded by a host of birds singing


~ Flowers blooming


~ Watching the goat kids play together out in the pen . . . they are so adorable!


~ Making dinner . . . last night was Classic Chicken Potpie with the first fresh garden salad of the year (courtesy of a vendor friend at the farmers market - our lettuce isn't quite ready yet!)


~ All of us gathered in the living room together in the evening - chores, dinner, dishes done as we relax at the close of the day - visiting, reading, laughing, and simply enjoying being together as a family.

~ Freshly baked bread cooling on the counter

~ Washing dishes . . . we don't have a dishwasher (an automatic one that is :) so at least three times a day finds one of us ladies at the kitchen sink.



~ Walks down the driveway which are refreshing times for me to be alone with the Lord out in His beautiful creation, pouring out my heart to Him in prayer and also being still before Him.


On that note, I'll close this post with a couple of verses from different Psalms that spoke to my heart the last few nights as I read through them . . .

"My soul, wait in silence for God only, for my hope is from Him.
He only is my rock and my salvation,
My stronghold; I shall not be shaken.
On God my salvation and my glory rest;
The rock of my strength, my refuge is in God.
Trust in Him at all times, O people;
Pour out your heart before Him;
God is a refuge for us."
Psalm 62:5-8 

"O God, You are my God; I shall seek You earnestly;
My soul thirsts for You, my flesh yearns for You,
In a dry and weary land where there is no water . . .
 Because Your lovingkindness is better than life,
My lips will praise You . . .
 When I remember You on my bed, 
I meditate on You in the night watches,
For You have been my help,
And in the shadow of Your wings I sing for joy.
My soul clings to You;
Your right hand upholds me."
Psalm 63:1, 3, 6-8

10 comments:

  1. Your blue berries are looking nice. :D
    Are they getting old enough to produce yet?

    I feel like there's nothing better than working at home! <3

    -Christina

    ReplyDelete
  2. How I wish i had a servant's heart. I love to read that you find joy in the simple chores of washing dishes etc. I dont' mind hanging clothes etc but I truly struggle with our cramped and over cluttered kitchen. Can you suggest anyone to help me beyond my pity party?

    Sorry about posting my misery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Birdsong here seems to be louder and more lovely than ever before. We sometimes sit in the garden and just listen, and marvel at the joyous noise that our wild birds create.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful post, Sarah. I enjoy those kind of walks too. :-)
    God bless, ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Christina! Yes, they have been producing for the last three years. We were even able to put some up in the freezer last year which was nice. This year the bushes are loaded with berries so maybe we'll even have enough to make syrup or jelly with this time!

    I can well relate to what you shared about feeling like there's nothing better than working at home!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your comment, Suze! And there is no need to apologize for what you shared :) . . . I am glad you felt comfortable sharing your heart!

    I think we all have those household tasks that are harder for us! You'll notice that scrubbing the shower and ironing didn't make it into this post. :) Those are things that are harder for me to “delight” in! And there are those days when I still do struggle having a joyful, servant heart while washing the dishes, etc.

    During times like these or when doing tasks that are not ones I particularly enjoy, I remind myself that each of these tasks are a part of what I love . . . homemaking. One of my greatest desires and dreams has always been to be a homemaker, and I have the opportunity to be one (at least in part in my family's home) and these tasks are a part of that! It helps to remember this bigger picture!

    And to also remember that doing these tasks is a way to show love to our families by providing a clean, comfortable and happy home, good and healthy food to eat, clean clothes, and much more. And most importantly, doing these tasks is a way to serve the Lord. As He says: “whatever you do, do your work heartily as for the Lord” . . . each dirty dish washed, each load of laundry done, each floor swept, can be done for Him and also communicates love to our family. It really helps me to remember this perspective!

    I know what you mean, though, about struggling with your cramped and cluttered kitchen! I wonder if we are alike in that we each work best in clean, uncluttered areas. That's one reason why I love getting the kitchen all cleaned up as it looks so fresh, peaceful, and uncluttered afterward!

    Something that might make doing dishes a bit more enjoyable for you is to put something near the sink that is typically something that brightens your day . . . a fresh or artificial flower arrangement, your favorite candle, a family photo, etc. Something else that I like to do is to make or get pretty Bible verse cards/pictures and put them in places where I can see them regularly. Perhaps by your kitchen sink you can hang up some verses that would be an encouragement to you and that you can meditate on while you wash dishes?

    At one point back when we were milking, I was struggling with a certain character aspect in my life, and I made verse cards that related and hung them up above the milk stand. Then during milking time, I worked on memorizing them, thought about them and how they could be applied to my life, etc. It was amazing how much this ended up helping!

    And sometimes just having something like music helps! Some nights after dinner when Leah and I look at the seemingly insurmountable mountain of dishes on the kitchen counters :), we say “it's a music night!” We'll get the CD player, put on a CD of gospel music or something like that, and then listen to it and often sing along while we do the dishes. Sometimes we end up having so much fun together that we wouldn't mind if there were even more dishes!

    I don't know if any of these ideas will be a help to you, Suze, but I hope they will be! I know you have had so much on your plate with all the regular things and then also having cared for your father. You served and gave much of yourself during those days/years! So be encouraged :) . . . even though washing dishes may not be something you enjoy and you struggle with your kitchen, you have blessed many (including me) and particularly your dad with your love and service to him!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How nice, Elizabeth! I was thinking the same thing. :)

    Your times with you and your husband sitting in the garden together listening to the birds sounds so pleasant! It's so fun hearing all of the different bird songs, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Mrs. Anne!

    Walks like these are wonderful, aren't they? And I can well imagine how refreshing and enjoyable yours are!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely photos, Sarah! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, Joy. :) Miss you, too! Maybe we can find a time to get together again soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! Each one is read and enjoyed. :)