Monday, June 8, 2015

Thankful for His Promises

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths." Proverbs 3:5-6

The last several weeks, I have been thinking quite a bit about many of the promises God gives to us in His Word. Promises that relate to a lot that has been on my heart and mind and that have been a help to me. They are applicable to so many places that we may be in life or to struggles that we may have!


"The steps of a man are established by the LORD, and He delights in his way. When he falls, he will not be hurled headlong, because the LORD is the One who holds his hand." Psalm 37:23-24

"For such is God, our God forever and ever; He will guide us until death." Psalm 48:14

" 'For I know the plans that I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11

"Cast your burden upon the LORD and He will sustain you; He will never allow the righteous to be shaken." Psalm 55:22

"And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose." Romans 8:28

"And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that always having all sufficiency in everything, you may have an abundance for every good deed;" 2 Corinthians 9:8

"And He said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.' " 2 Corinthians 12:9a


I am so thankful for the God we serve! He has made an abundance of beautiful and comforting promises to us in His Word (of which these are just a very, very few) . . . and He is faithful to keep every one of those promises. 

With all of this on my mind, I was reading through a book that I found recently at a garage sale titled Lies Women Believe and the Truth that Sets Them Free by Nancy Leigh DeMoss. (As a little side note, it is a very good book overall! Written to help women grow in their walks with the Lord and in godly womanhood, and it was really an encouragement and help to me in many ways. As a little disclaimer, though, there were some things I disagree with in it including how some of it was flavored with her Calvinist theology.) 

Near the end of the book, there was a section that especially fit with some things that have been on my heart, and it was an encouraging reminder to me . . .

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"God's grace is sufficient for me (2 Corinthians 12:9) As a child of God, I will never face a circumstance that exceeds His grace. Where sin abounds, grace does much more abound. When I am weak, He is strong. When I am empty, He is full. When I have no resources of my own left, His resources have not begun to be depleted.

"The Truth is, whatever you are going through right now, His grace is sufficient for you. Whatever you will go through tomorrow - or next year or fifty years from now - His grace is sufficient for you then.

"His grace is sufficient to deal with the memories, wounds, and failures of the most scarred or sordid past. His grace is sufficient for a lifetime of singleness or half a century of marriage to an ungodly man. His grace is sufficient for the single mother trying to raise four children. His grace is sufficient for the mother of three toddlers - or three teenagers. His grace is sufficient for the woman caring for her elderly parents, for the empty nester, for the woman going through the change of life, for the widow living on Social Security, and for the invalid in a nursing home . . .

"In every season, in every circumstance, His grace is sufficient. It is sufficient for me; it is sufficient for you." (page 256)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Therefore let us draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need." Hebrews 4:16

While this was all on my heart (and I was already starting to put together this blogpost in my mind), this past Sunday, the verses from 2 Corinthians and Hebrews about God's grace "being sufficient" and our "help in time of need" were ones that were taught on as the teaching was about God's grace! Isn't it amazing how God works? It was both timely and fitting, and very encouraging as well.

I am so thankful for how God works so intimately in our lives! He is indeed a loving Father, always teaching, guiding, loving, providing, and much, much more. Even in this, bringing three separate instances together that all communicated and enforced the same message in my heart. And through His grace and strength, He has helped, and is helping, me to . . .

Have peace . . . even though I may not always understand.

Be content and have joy . . . with where He has me.

Fully trust Him . . . along each step of this journey of life.

Embrace . . . the lessons He is teaching me.

Be thankful . . . for the abundant blessings He has given me.

Learn more . . . how to walk in obedience and to grow in Him.

Know and experience without doubt . . . that His grace is sufficient and that He is always, always faithful!

12 comments:

  1. How encouraging! Thank you for the beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome, Sara! I am glad it could be an encouragement to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We bought that book for our girls a few years ago. I agree, overall, it's a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for those excellent words.
    Are those your beautiful plaques?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I particularly like the KJV version of that Jeremiah 22 verse:

    "For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end."

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sure the book was a blessing for your girls, Mrs. Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're welcome, Julianne!

    The plaques are my mom's. :) Though I have one just like the bottom one . . . they are such encouraging reminders!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Rena, for sharing the KJV version of the verse from Jeremiah! It adds a lot of depth to look at the different versions, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sarah...tried to contact you through the Etsy shop, but having trouble...has my order for a 3-pack of soap to my Aunt been shipped yet? I have not received a shipping notification from you, but my bank account was charged. Please advise. ~ Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Betsy!

    I tried sending the below message to you through both Etsy and your personal e-mail, but it says it is undeliverable to your e-mail address. So I am replying here in the hopes that you see it!

    I am really sorry that you hadn't gotten a shipping notice! Yes, the package was shipped out to your Aunt on Friday with a little note saying 'Happy Birthday' (and I left out the invoice since it was a gift.) I checked the tracking for the package, and it was delivered two days ago.

    All of my information on Etsy says that a shipping notification was sent to you, and I also received a confirmation and a copy of the notice in my e-mail. It must have gotten lost somewhere in the transit!

    If something like this should happen again, here is a link to where you can view your purchases, track your packages, etc. on Etsy . . . https://www.etsy.com/your/purchases

    Again, I am really sorry that you were left wondering whether it was
    shipped or not!

    ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay, I think I figured it out.:-) The link you sent above takes me to a page that says my account is unconfirmed...then I noticed that the email they are trying to use left the first "b" out of "sbcglobal." When I tried to correct the email address, it wouldn't let me because it says the new email I entered is already in use. So I logged out of all that and signed in with my correct email, and long story short, my correct email has all my old account info and purchases, but not the newest purchase. But as long as I know it was sent, that's fine. I will check with my aunt and make sure it made it into her hands. Thank you for the prompt shipment and prompt response!:-) ~ Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am glad that you figured it out, Betsy! And you're welcome! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! Each one is read and enjoyed. :)