Monday, July 6, 2015

A Special Meal for the 4th (plus a recipe)

The kitchen was busy for part of Saturday, and it was fun making a more special meal for our 4th of July! And being able to use so much of our own 'homegrown' foods and ingredients, too . . . Porcupine Meatballs made with our own goat meat, Sally Lunn Batter bread with homemade honey butter, green beans and beets from the garden, sweet pickles that I had canned, and deviled eggs made with eggs from our chickens.

The bread before cutting

Meatballs browning . . . and afterwards they were put into a sauce and then simmered

As food was cooking in the kitchen, a flower arrangement was also made with Leah's daylilies, a tablecloth pressed and laid, and more. I really enjoyed doing everything! And especially as I knew the rest of my family was hard at work outdoors getting things done before the next rain (mowing, hoeing/weeding in the garden, cleaning goat pens, etc. - they got so much done!) which made it all the more enjoyable to create a restful atmosphere inside and a satisfying meal.


After dinner, dishes, and chores, we enjoyed a family night with ice cream and an old TV western (have any of you ever seen Rawhide? We enjoy many of those!)

Our 4th of July berry pie was saved for the Sunday meal with our church . . .


I had found the recipe on pinterest, and Leah and I had a lot of fun making it together! It, too, was a 'homegrown' pie with strawberries, blueberries and wild raspberries all being either grown or harvested here on our little farm.

The recipe for the pie will be coming soon! And here is the recipe for the bread and honey butter . . . .


Sally Lunn Batter Bread

-1 package (2 1/4 tsp.) active dry yeast
-1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
-1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
-1/2 cup butter, softened
-1/4 cup evaporated cane juice (or sugar)
-2 teaspoon salt
-3 eggs
-5-1/2 to 6 cups all-purpose flour (I tried making this before with all whole wheat and also half wheat/half all-purpose, and neither worked successfully so now I use all-purpose when making it.)

In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, butter, sugar, salt, eggs and 3 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Do not knead. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Stir the dough down. Spoon into a greased and floured 10-in. tube pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour. Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool.

Honey Butter

- Equal parts of softened butter and honey

Stir together and enjoy on bread!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Did you all do anything special for the 4th?

16 comments:

  1. IN our Australia our special day is January 26th. I love hearing how people celebrate their country and the blessings they have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything looks delicious! Thank you for sharing your bread recipe, I plan on trying it soon! Blessings to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything looks lovely, you worked very hard!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah, I was interested in the name of your bread, and wonder if you know anything about Sally Lunn, who is famous in England?

    http://www.sallylunns.co.uk/history/

    I have been to the bakery, the original building in Bath, where Sally Lunn baked the buns that became famous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your 4th of July table setting is beautiful! I have always wanted to try making Sally Lunn bread, so thank you for sharing your recipe! Your pie is fabulous!! What a clever design idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a lovely 4th of July celebration, Sarah.:-) Everything looks beautiful, and how wonderful to be able to have raised or grown or harvested so many of the ingredients yourself!

    We began our celebration on Friday the 3rd, by attending our town's annual rodeo, which is held just down the street. Then on the 4th, we celebrated not only the 239th birthday of this country, but also my husband's 50th birthday.:-) My daughter made special crepes for the birthday breakfast, and we had a bit of a "roasting" for Daddy, which was very comical.:-) Later that day, another family joined us for dinner--a cookout with homemade burgers and brats, macaroni salad, chips & salsa, and watermelon--followed by my hubby's favorite Triple Chocolate birthday cake, and a beautiful Watermelon Bombe made by another daughter. He opened gifts, and then when it was dark, we all went outdoors and lit fireworks for a couple of hours. All in all, it was a very memorable Birthday celebration!

    ~ Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't you just love bread you don't have to knead? <3
    I tried the recipe you posted for English Muffim bread and loved it!
    I'm going to have to try Sally Loon too.

    I feel like days like the above are my favorite -- when I can stay at home and do things to support my family. Heh heh, especially when it involved cooking! :D

    I love those old TV shows. I've never seen Rawhide, but I remember watching Bonanza as a kid. The other day I saw a little of The Virginian at my mother and laws house. Those shows are like a breath of fresh air compared to what's on TV now.
    I know your family isn't too big on TV. But have you ever thought of doing a post on your favorite things to watch as a family? And maybe you perspective on TV? I'd definitely be interested in hearing about it and for more wholesome TV recommendations. :D
    My hubby and I don't even own a TV. But we do enjoy watching an occasional movie for date night on our laptop. It's just real hard to find good content. :/

    Glad you had a happy 4th!
    -Christina

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is interesting, isn't it, Suze? Hope you are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, Sara! And you're welcome for sharing the recipe. :) I hope you enjoy it! Blessings to you as well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is really interesting, Elizabeth! I had no idea who 'Sally Lunn' was . . . in fact, I can't say I ever even gave the name of the bread a thought. Thank you for sharing this bit of history and the link! I enjoyed reading.

    And that's neat that you have been to the bakery where her buns became famous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, Sarah! And you're welcome for sharing. :) I hope you enjoy the bread!

    It is a clever pie design idea . . . I wouldn't have thought of it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you, Betsy! :)

    Your 4th celebration and your husband's birthday celebration all sound so fun and enjoyable! The rodeo, all the delicious food, time with family, fireworks. It would have indeed been memorable. Thank you for sharing as I enjoyed reading!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is indeed nice, Christina! I am glad that you liked the English Muffin bread! And I hope you like the Sally Lunn just as much.

    They are some of my favorite, too. :) It's so fun to be able to spend a day simply being in the home!

    We've watched some of the Bonanzas and Virginians, too. We also like some of The Big Valley and a few other TV westerns as well. We don't have a TV either so we watch them on Youtube or the DVD sets we have.

    I'll have to do a post sometime on TV/Movies/Favorites, etc. That's a great suggestion. :) I would agree, it is hard to find good content!

    Here are a couple of our favorite movies that you might enjoy if you haven't already: The Redemption of Henry Myers, Courageous, God's Not Dead, the soon to be released Do You Believe? (my favorite movie!), Storm Rider, Fireproof, Facing the Giants, and my mind just went blank. :) Hopefully that will give you some ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really enjoy your blog. Sorry I am a little late catching up, Summer is so busy isn't it if you live in the country.
    Our corn is not as big as yours, I have a little bed of it in the garden.
    I loved to see your special celebrations, we do not have anything like that in England.
    Fondly Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for your comment, Michelle! It was good to hear from you again. :) And I can well relate to a busy summer!

    I hope your corn does well! Almost all of the corn in the fields around here is tasseled out now. For the most part, it doesn't seem to have minded all of the rain!

    I am glad that you enjoyed the post. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! Each one is read and enjoyed. :)