Thursday, August 6, 2015

Highlights

How does one convey in words such special moments as we have been able to enjoy the last little while? I am not exactly sure, though I will do my best! Along with a few of the photos that were taken . . .

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last week, Leah was able to go with me to the nursing home and what a wonderful time we had there! It was so nice to introduce her to friends, sing together with her, and visit with the residents. Dear "E" was in her normal spot in the dining room when we arrived, and it was so good to see her again! She joined us at the piano and using an extra hymnal we had brought, sang along with every hymn. It was very special . . . as it was when "J" joined us as well and clapped and swayed along to the music.

Leah has a beautiful singing voice, and with having her there, I was able to sing my normal alto parts which was easier! I think the residents enjoyed her voice as well. :) Residents were hearing the music back in their rooms, and then coming down the halls in order to watch and listen. One of the kitchen workers even joined in singing along with the chorus of How Great Thou Art!

~~~~~~~~~~~~

The past three weeks, Leah and I volunteered at the riding center for two days each week, and we so loved our times there! The riding center is taking a break from classes until sometime in September so we're missing our little friends this week. Yet the memories from the past days warm our hearts and bring a smile to our faces as we remember them, and here are just a few of many . . .

(And as I do not have permission from their parents to share photos of their children here (save for one) the few photos shared are selectively cropped. :)

Me having fun with one of the little boys I worked with each class (this was after his class was finished for the day, and he had gotten this big ribbon.) He is a little sweetheart and loved to "give" us "m&m's" off of his riding helmet which was covered in a fabric that had them on it

~ One adorable little girl was having quite a hard time during her classes and would cry as soon as she was taken from her parents, and then cry for her Daddy her entire ride. Leah ended up being able to go with her one week (and then all the following weeks) and did an amazing job with her as she does with all of the children . . . so much so that before long, little "L" wasn't crying and was actually having fun as Leah talked with her and kept her mind and eyes busy. And the very next week, L was eager to ride, climbed up onto her horse all by herself, with a big, happy smile on her face. It was amazing to see the transformation, and her parents were thrilled and grateful!

Leah with "L" after her class . . . and you can see part of her ribbon which she was excited about!

~ Remember the 7 year old boy I mentioned in this post? Our last day together was so special! I went out to greet him and his family when they arrived, and he reached out for my hand, let go of his mom's hand, and then wrapped both his arms around me and pressed in close. He stood that way for about 4-5 minutes until it was his turn to mount his horse. Every once in awhile, he would pull back, look up at me with his beautiful smile, eyes squinted almost shut, and then pat me with his hand before hugging me again. What a precious little boy he is! It was bittersweet saying goodbye to him at the end of his class, as they might be moving. :( I am so thankful, though, for the times spent with him, and some treasured photos of he and I together.

~ And Will . . . sharing about the riding center wouldn't be complete without mention of him! This little boy is so special. As always, I loved my times spent with him!

 Will (with his ribbon) and I after his class was done - he did really well this week! And his grandpa was so kind to take this photo for me.

Leah and I had some much enjoyed moments with his little sisters as well . . . lots of hugs and big smiles. Plus a few hugs for me from sweet Will, too, after his ride and before he dismounted.

Leah with another of her little riders

~~~~~~~~~~~~

One evening after getting home from the riding center, Leah and I were out doing chores, when who should come up, but two little neighbor girls (ages 6 and 8, and who are friends, not sisters.) When seeing them down on our driveway awhile back, my parents had invited them to come see our baby goats sometime, and so they came visiting! They are both really sweet, and we enjoyed our time with them. They loved the baby goats, and while petting them was fun, I think their favorite part was feeding them grass. They were pretty thrilled when the goats would eat right out of their hands!

Leah also brought out her Golden Retriever, Mandy, for them to pet, and then we took a peek at the chickens on their roosts in the coop as the girls were wanting to see them, too. They have a standing invitation to come back again sometime, so I wouldn't be surprised if two little girls show up at our front door again. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~

One of our cheery sunflowers

~~~~~~~~~~~~

And sometimes the special moments and the ones that warm my heart, are more simple ones like our family gathered around the dinner table last evening visiting together. At one point after the meal, Dad shared something that had stood out to him during his Bible reading about being "strong and courageous" (from the book of Joshua), and then another made comments about it, and then I shared something that was on my heart that related, and the back and forth conversation continued among all of us . . . sharing, encouraging, edifying, having our hearts knit closer together, and more.

I know I have said this before, but I am so thankful for my family!

~~~~~~~~~~~~

And these are just a few of the many. What have been some of the highlights of your week?

5 comments:

  1. You are such an encouragement to those children Sarah, both of you, that is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this beautiful and encouraging post! It just warmed my heart and reminded of all the things and especially all the people in my life that I am thankful for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, thank you, Elizabeth! They certainly are a blessing to us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're very welcome, Fairy Tale! I am glad that the post was a blessing to you. There is so much to be thankful for, isn't there?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your comment, Miss Lila! Please e-mail me at aslilies@gmail.com, and I would be happy to reply to it through there!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! Each one is read and enjoyed. :)