Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Sadness and Joy

Shortly after doing my last post, I learned that my dear friend at the nursing home, Edna, went home to be with the Lord. I am so thankful for the opportunity to have known her and for all the special times that we had together! She was a very special lady and blessed me more than I can say by her love, strong faith, joy, wisdom, friendship . . . I am going to miss her so much!


Intermixed with the sadness is joy . . . sadness that I will no longer see her here on this earth, yet joy for her that she is in heaven with her Savior.

The last time that we had together, I and a nurse brought her over to her usual spot right to the left of me at the piano, and I played her favorite hymn How Great Thou Art, and we sang together. When we reached the chorus, despite her weakness and shortness of breath, her voice rang out stronger and clearer than I had ever heard before. I glanced over at her, and her face was turned upwards, her eyes closed as the words poured from her heart to the Lord. It was an awe-inspiring moment! Five days later, she was at home with the God she had been praising and whom she loved so much. In her words, Jesus Christ was her "first and foremost."

I can still feel her arms giving me a tight hug, feel her kiss on my cheek, and hear her whispered "I love you." When leaving the nursing home that last time, I looked back and there she sat, smiling as she watched me leave.

I remember the very first time I met her and after we sang together at the piano, she told me that she was going home soon. I wasn't aware at the time that this was just a fancy of hers and not reality, so we talked about that if we never see each other again at the nursing home, we can look forward to seeing one another again in heaven and there we will sing praises to the Lord together again. Now that time has come . . . and I am indeed looking forward to that coming day!

"For this perishable must put on the imperishable, and this mortal must put on immortality . . . . then will come about the saying that is written, 'Death is swallowed up in victory. O death, where is your victory? O death, where is your sting?' The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law; but thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ"! 1 Corinthians 15:53-57

6 comments:

  1. How wonderful to know that you were so involved with her in the last days of her life. What joy you must have given her,

    ReplyDelete
  2. God bless you and keep you dear one. It is difficult to lose anyone who is precious. One day you will reunite with the Lord and what a time that shall be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Sarah,

    I will pray for you as you walk through this grief. God Bless You,
    Mrs.B

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your sweet comment, Elizabeth! It was indeed wonderful to have those last days with her . . . she certainly brought a lot of joy into my life!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much, Suze! It is indeed difficult losing those we love . . . I am so thankful for all of the special memories I have with her! Knowing also, as you shared, that we will reunite someday in heaven with the Lord. And yes, what a glorious day that will be!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much, Mrs. B! I appreciate your prayers. As hard as it was to learn of her death, I am so thankful to know that she is free from the pain and suffering she had here and is forever with the Lord in heaven. While I will miss her very much and it will be hard going to the nursing home and not having here there, there is joy in knowing where she is now!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! Each one is read and enjoyed. :)