Friday, November 6, 2015

Autumn Days

The leaves have fallen from many of the trees . . . frost has coated the ground several mornings so far . . . the crunch of leaves sounds underneath one's feet when walking through the woods . . . the air definitely feels and smells of fall!

The other day, I took a walk soaking in the beauty of this season, enjoying the antics of our goats, and more. As October came to a close and November began, things have remained still quite busy, so for now, I will leave you with some of the photos that were taken during my walk . . . .

An orange carpet of leaves underneath the Cypress Trees 

The Sweetgum trees are dropping their colorful leaves now 

We're still getting some peppers from the garden! 

The celery is doing really well . . . it limped through the summer and now is thriving in the cooler temperatures. Though before we get a hard freeze, we'll be harvesting most of it and putting it up in the freezer.

A bit of the lettuce that the deer have left us . . . they have enjoyed our 'salad bar' :)

Basil that went to seed and that I am saving seed from 

Dad got all 10 beehives ready for winter! 

 Our Boer bucklings still are really friendly! Someone is coming out tomorrow to take a look at them so at least one should be going to a new home soon.

Ruger, one of our herd sires, lounging in his shelter 

A bad picture I know, but it is the clearest view of our neighbor's pasture I could find at the moment. The pasture has been hayed, and there are still some red leaves clinging to the Oak Tree in the foreground. Unfortunately, this big old tree is dying so we'll have to have it taken out soon. 

One of the new animals on our place! We were having difficulty with our other rabbits as they had a poorer genetic line and were having slow growth and finished out at a smaller size than we would like. So we butchered all of those, and got new ones! This is one of our new does. They were not tame at first, but slowly they are getting more used to us. Treats of hay and chickweed have certainly been a help with that. :)

So there is a glimpse into some of what it looks like around here right now!

And to close, I would like to share part of a Psalm I read several nights ago that especially spoke to my heart . . . I hope it will be an encouragement to you as well!

"The law of the LORD is perfect, restoring the soul;
The testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple.
The precepts of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart;
The commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes.
The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring forever;
The judgments of the LORD are true; they are righteous altogether.
They are more desirable than gold, yes, than much fine gold;
Sweeter also than the drippings of the honeycomb.
Moreover, by them your servant is warned;
In keeping them there is great reward.
Psalm 19:7-11

What an amazing and perfect God is the Lord! And what a very great blessing His Word is to us. I am so thankful that He has given it to us to not only be able to come to know Him through it, but to also know how He desires us to walk and how we may please Him and glorify His name.

12 comments:

  1. The garden still producing?! That's a blessing. Ours has long been put to rest. The weather has been very strange this fall here in the basin. I don't like to lose an oak tree. We've had that happen too. Yes, we serve an amazing and perfect God, and He's in control of it all.:-)
    God bless and enjoy your weekend. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. My garden is sleeping now, except for a few late roses. Winter is not far away.Lovely to see your photos, I can't imagine what it must be like to have deer wandering around sampling things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I read your profile just now I had to comment. I am also a Christian, a quiltmaker & scrapbooker (new to that), and stitcher too. I took violin lessons for a while and I also own a hammered dulcimer which was a gift many years ago. I gave my violin to my G-daughter who is a violinist and am now wanting to sell my dulcimer as I never got very far with it (taking lessons required a huge commitment of driving a distance which I didn't ascribe to). I love the sound of both instruments and enjoy listening to the music of both on CDs since I never learned to play. None of this is of any importance other than I just felt a kinship when I read about you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a blessing His Word is indeed! Thanks for sharing the beautiful pictures and edifying Scripture!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful photos and Psalm! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Sarah,

    Thanks for sharing your lovely autumn photos with us.

    Blessings,
    Mrs.B

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is a little bit, Mrs. Anne! The frost has nipped most everything now, except for the bit of kale and lettuce the deer left us and the remaining celery plants that we didn't put up in the freezer. Other than that, the rest of the garden is just about all put to bed.

    How very true . . . He is indeed an amazing and perfect God! And what a comfort and assurance to know we can trust Him fully.

    Blessings to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Winter is creeping in here as well, Elizabeth! How nice to have a last few late roses to enjoy. I am sure they were lovely!

    I am glad you enjoyed the photos! And yes, it can be rather interesting having deer making visits to the garden. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome to my blog, Cootie Bug, and thank you for your comment! It is nice to 'meet' you. :) It does sound like we have number of things in common!

    I can understand about the huge commitment to learning the dulcimer. It is a beautiful instrument, though isn't the easiest to learn sometimes! (at least for me it isn't. :)

    How thoughtful of you to pass your violin down to your granddaughter. What a blessing for her, and then for you, too, as you are able to listen to her learn and play!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is indeed, Nharvey! You're welcome for sharing. :) And thank you for your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're welcome, Mrs. B!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! Each one is read and enjoyed. :)