Friday, April 22, 2016

At the Nursing Home (plus two Hymns)

One day last week, with the bag of music books in my hand, I stepped through the door of the nursing home into the very familiar hallway, and made my way to a dear friend's room. (I always go see her first to let her know I'm there.) 

We went back down the hall together to the dining area and piano, her in her wheelchair, and me walking slowly alongside, visiting as we went. She's 98 years young and always brightens my day whenever I spend time with her. Wish you all could spend some time with her, too. :) She is a special and fun lady!

What followed was a wonderful time of playing the piano, singing, and visiting with the residents as they came up to listen, talk, or sing along. As I sang the old, beautiful, and familiar hymns and talked with them about the Savior Jesus Christ, my own heart was being touched and encouraged and tears came to my eyes a few times. Especially when hearing their voices singing along!

One dear lady whom I hadn't seen in so long, came to join us, and her voice rang out clearly as she sang, her face and eyes all alight with joy. You couldn't help but smile when looking at her shining face! It was so good to see her again.


About an hour later, I finished with the music and had an enjoyable time visiting with a number of special friends there . . . and getting lots of hugs. :)

One lady I have slowly been developing a friendship with and had seen her in Walmart awhile back (she was with the Activity Director.) When we talked then, she told me how much she was looking forward to me coming back and gave me her first hug then. Then she gave another big one when seeing her again last week!

Another sweet friend has thankfully gotten well enough to go home . . . I am so glad for her, but it isn't quite the same without her there, and she has been missed. Though a week ago this past Sunday, who should call me on my phone, but her? She said that she had been thinking of me so called just to let me know that I was on her heart and that she was praying for me. It was perfect timing. :) We ended up having a lovely conversation about trusting the Lord, His goodness to us, and more.

How much I have grown to love these people! They have welcomed me right into their hearts with love . . . and their joy, their sweet hearts, and their friendship mean so much.

And it won't be long before I'll be going back again!

On a slightly different note, since this post includes about hymns :), I thought I would share two that are on Hymns That Are Important To Us by Joey+Rory (who I shared some about in my last post) . . . these are two of my favorites on this CD . . . .



(while this is often considered a "children's song", I love the words! Especially the 2nd and 3rd verses . . . plus it's so sweet to see their precious little daughter join them on stage. :) 

11 comments:

  1. I love that story, it is so encouraging and you are such an inspiration to me. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your sweet comment, Fairytale!

      Delete
  2. thewarmfireplaceApril 24, 2016

    The dear ladies at the nursing home sound so wonderful, thank you for the beautiful hymns. Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are, Sue! And you're welcome for the hymns. :) I am glad you enjoyed them!

      Delete
  3. Music is a magic doorway for those with dementia. When I visit dad we often sing together. Thank you for sharing with these dear people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed amazing how music can communicate to those with dementia, Suze! It warmed my heart to read about you and your dad singing together when you visit him. So special!

      You're welcome :) . . . and thank you!

      Delete
  4. Jesus Paid It All is my favorite hymn of all time!!! It doesn't get any better than the gospel. :D

    Don't you just love elders? I sure do! I feel like I get along better with my grandparents' generation than my own. Haha, maybe part of the reason is that they can actually talk about gardening, canning, knitting, sewing, piano playing, and all those old fashioned things that I love to do.
    My favorite are the stories they tell from their lives. I really wish I could sit down with elders and just listen to all that's happened in their lives, all they've seen and experienced.
    I don't blame you for loving to go there so much! You probably bless them more than you know, even by just listening to them.
    Say, I remember once seeing some entries about the dulcimer your family played. (I have to admit, those posts made me research what a dulcimer was!) Do you still play that much? I thought it was so pretty!

    God bless,
    -Christina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is one of mine now, too, Christina! I was somewhat familiar with it, but did not know all of the words until hearing it sung by them. The words are so beautiful and powerful.

      O yes, I do! I could so relate to all that you shared about talking with your grandparents' generation. I love hearing their life experiences, too, and their wisdom and so much more.

      I haven't been playing the dulcimer much at all as of late, though I do hope to get back into playing it more again soon.

      Blessings to you as well!

      Delete
  5. Angela B . .. thank you so much for the sweet comment you left! If you could please e-mail me privately (at: aslilies @ gmail.com [minus the spaces]) I would be happy to answer your question there. Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a wonderful service you provide by spending time singing at this nursing home! I imagine that you feel as blessed as do the residents, maybe even more! Do you think that Leah or others in your family might join you sometime? I remember that long ago you all played together, with the thought that someday you would have a collection of songs learned that you could all perform as a group. --Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet comment, Betsy! And yes, I do indeed feel blessed whenever I go there. :)

      Sometimes Mom and Leah do join me and sing, and someday Leah and I want to play guitar and fiddle there, too. Other than that, we'll just have to see what happens! (With all that happened in our lives over the years, some of our original plans changed.)

      Delete

Thanks so much for your comment! Each one is read and enjoyed. :)