Monday, April 11, 2016

Spring

As much as I love spring every year, there hasn't been a spring that I have been so grateful for, though in a different way, as this one . . . all around new life is blossoming, warmth is coming . . . it is a season of hope.

And it's been good to be able to go for walks or runs out in this beauty . . .

Photo taken a few weeks ago in the evening . . . this is where I often walk as of late . . . down our driveway, praying and pouring out my heart to God, singing to Him, soaking in the beauty of His creation . . . it hardly ever fails to help uplift my heart and put a smile on my face.

This is also where I start my runs . . . I hadn't been doing nearly as much running over the past month or so as I had been, but am getting back into it now. Yesterday after rain moved through, I went out for just a quick little half-mile run which felt so good! 

A few days before that when I went out for a run, what should I see right before I began, but an opossum wandering through the woods, and across our driveway and into the woods on the other side. This little creature seemed entirely unaware of me even though I was quite close to it . . . made me smile as I watched him rambling slowly along with his nose to the ground (and sorry, no photo of it . . . you'll just have to imagine. :)

Blossoms on one of the wild plum trees

Apple blossoms

Lilacs . . . these smell so good!

The only thing growing in the garden now . . . kale, which we overwintered. It has been so nice to be able to enjoy fresh from the garden greens at the close of winter and start of spring. Now if it would just stay warm and dry for awhile, we could get some other things planted.

Blueberries blossoming . . . and they usually aren't this red . . . unseasonably chilly weather is the cause of that. Leah teasingly said, "don't they know that things turn blue when they're cold?" :) Once it warms up, they should green up again.

Growing strawberry plants after their winter cover of straw was removed 

The rhubarb is growing, too . . . and a combination of strawberries and rhubarb means making more strawberry/rhubarb jam if the plants produce well

Busy honeybees 

Gathering nectar and pollen from dandelions

My doe, Aurora . . . only about another month and she'll be kidding! We're really looking forward to having little goat kids again (as are a number of people we know who want to come see them. :) 

Given the fact that out of her six kids so far, five have been bucklings, I'm guessing we'll have the same this year . . . but I'm still hoping for at least one doeling!

Aurora and Sierra . . . Sierra is due in about a month as well 

A farm work scene . . . a pile of free mulch that Dad was hauling to goat shelters 

Look what we have! 14 adorable baby chicks of three different varieties (and the little black ones are mine - a surprise gift from Dad :), though Leah's been taking care of them all.) It will be really nice to have our own fresh eggs again once they're old enough to begin laying.

 Perching on the rim of the nestboxes

More babies on our little farm! One of our does kindled and this adorableness is the result. 

They had a little visitor today who enjoyed being able to hold one of them and feed them some grass (and see the chicks and also see and feed some of the goats.) It was fun to see our little friend enjoying the animals!

Drinking from the water bottle

So cute!

And life continues on . . . day by day . . . moment by moment . . . .

"It is of the LORD's mercies that we are not consumed, because His compassions fail not. They are new every morning: great is Thy faithfulness. The LORD is my portion, saith my soul; therefore will I hope in Him." Lamentations 3:22-23

24 comments:

  1. Your blueberries are way ahead of mine. Ours are just getting leaves. The photos are just beautiful. The bunnies and chicks are so cute. We have a fire still going in the wood stove as it will be freezing again tonight. Spring is slow in coming here. Enjoy your evening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so interesting, Mrs. Anne, how even though you are a ways south of us, you're always a bit behind us in the coming of spring. I am sure you are enjoying seeing the 'springtime signs' . . . and also the warm fire until it warms up for good! I hope you enjoy your evening as well (and I'm sure you will with your newest granddaughter. :) Congratulations!)

      Delete
  2. We're all getting cabin fever up here and so looking for anything green, so thank you so much for the encouraging post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome for sharing, K. Family :) . . . the green and warm temps are headed your way!

      Delete
  3. I am glad that your long winter is slowly brightening and that new life is around to cheer you. We await the cooler weather as our days are still filled with summer's heat and restless nights. God bless you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Suze. :) Me, too. Enjoy your cooler weather when it comes and the relief from summer heat! Blessings to you as well.

      Delete
  4. How lovely to take a stroll around your farm, Sarah.You are ahead of us with the blossom, maybe due to our cold winds recently. I long for my little fruit trees to come into flower, and have added a new one, a Victoria plum, to my little collection of mini fruit trees. Maybe we will have plums!
    I don't know what an opossum looks like as we don't have them here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that you enjoyed it, Elizabeth. :) Warmer weather I am sure will be coming your way soon! How lovely it will be when your fruit trees are all in blossom. Especially so with your new one that you added. I hope you will get plums from it!

      This link has a picture of our opossum: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opossum

      They're kind of cute . . . though the one I saw wasn't as much so as the one in the photo!

      Delete
    2. Thank you! Now I can imagine the opossum.

      Delete
    3. You're welcome! :)

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful post and such wonderful pictures! Your gratefulness is so inspiring, thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Fairytale!

      Delete
  6. Hi there beautiful pictures here in England the weather
    is still cold and wet but spring is in the air.
    So glad you are running again .God bless you.
    love to you.
    Sheree

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sheree. :) How lovely that spring is in the air there . . . I am sure it will chase away the cold and wet soon.

      Blessings and love to you as well!

      Delete
  7. How wonderful that Spring is in the air for you! Not so here in Ireland I am still wearing my winter woolies brr !!! God Bless X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed, Marie! Well, hopefully warm weather will be coming your way soon. :) Our spring took it's time in coming, and it was nice when we could finally put away the winter clothing!

      Delete
  8. What a joy to see all of these lovely signs of spring! Spring is my favorite time of year. Your baby chicks are adorable! What a sweet surprise from your dad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that you enjoyed seeing them, Sarah! Spring is my favorite time of year as well.

      The chicks were indeed a very sweet surprise. :)

      Delete
  9. thewarmfireplaceApril 12, 2016

    Spring time is such a wonderful time of new beginnings, beauty and watching life unfurl, I love spring my favourite time of the year. Those chicks are adorable, what a wonderful gift from your dad.
    God bless sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed, warmfireplace! Spring is my favorite time of year as well, and for some of the same reasons you mentioned. :) And yes, the chicks were!

      Delete
  10. Sarah...guess what! We are getting chicks this month! Our coop is almost finished, and our brooder is ready and waiting. And oh, how I would love it if you could do a post on how you raise your chickens!! Show your set-up, tell how you got started, what do you feed them, etc. I am totally new at this, and have always found your little tutorials so helpful. Following that, a post on raising rabbits would be wonderful too, as my 12-year-old son is preparing to do that.:-) Please think about it--thank you so much! On a totally unrelated note, have you seen that God's Not Dead 2 is in theaters now?!

    ~ Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How exciting, Betsy! I know you all will love them. :) And the rabbits, too! I hope your son's preparations for them will go well. You'll have to make sure to post about your new additions once you get them!

      I'll put a "post about raising our chickens" in my 'to post' list, and will try to get that done soon for you. Plus one on rabbits eventually. :)

      Yes, we actually went and saw God's Not Dead 2 with our church last week. It was quite good! (Though not as good as the first.) We all were blessed and encouraged by it, and it had some things in it that really spoke to my heart. If you all go see it, hope you will be blessed by it, too!

      Delete
  11. I love spring time too. Enjoying my garden that is slowly getting a start after some very cool nights and lots of rain here in Alabama. Looking forward to more warm days. Loved all you photos of the sweet babies on your farm...we miss having them here. Have a wonderful weekend and God bless!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure you are enjoying your garden getting started, Linda! It's always so exciting to see them coming alive after winter. We're looking forward to more warm days, too . . . our temps finally warmed up again after quite a cool/cold spell, so that's been really nice.

      Glad you enjoyed the photos, and I hope you have a wonderful weekend as well!

      Delete

Thanks so much for your comment! Each one is read and enjoyed. :)