Sunday, April 17, 2016

The Farmers Market

A month of Saturdays at the farmers market so far, and it has been going so well! I really like being a part of this market, and not only interacting with the customers who come through (on opening day, there were over 1,400 people who came to the market!), but also beginning to get to know the other vendors. 

And quite importantly, it has been profitable being a vendor, which means part of each week I have been busy making soap, scrubs, and deodorants. My Dad had made me a soap mold that makes 24 bars at a time so that helps keep up better, and it saves time and labor. I'll be making more of all three of these products this week!

Opening day of the outdoor market mid-March, looking up the rows of booths as we were all setting up . . . with more to be added as the morning progressed. My booth is the first white tent on the left, and I'm there in a blur finishing setting up. :) (photo by my Dad)

The first market day mid-March, right around opening time. More vendors are coming now that we are into the month of April (photo by my Dad)

This past Saturday, we finally had a lovely, warm day which was so nice after the quite cold previous Saturdays! After those ones, Leah and I came home cold despite on two of the days having feet and hand warmers and hot chocolate (courtesy of Dad and Mom who so thoughtfully stopped by and brought some for us!)

But this Saturday, the sun was shining, the temperature rose up into the 70's, and it was such a pleasant day.


My booth this past Saturday

And a close-up 

And one more close-up 

I really enjoy talking with the many people who stop by my booth, seeing people I know (including some of my little riders from the riding center! And their parents. Which means hugs and big smiles :), and more.

There have been a number of times as well when there have been such good and helpful conversations, both with one of the vendors and with customers, about faith, trusting the Lord in difficult times (a few of them knew what had happened in my life), being a light for Christ, etc.

One was just this past Saturday, and what was shared in it was quite timely. An older gentleman and another older couple stopped by my booth (whom I don't recall talking with before), and we talked together for awhile. As our conversation progressed, what they shared was quite an encouragement to my heart . . . and it's interesting how it began . . . by something so small as one of them commenting on my smile!

So . . . much more happens at the market (and as a result of being there) than just selling, that's for sure! :)

Now . . . back to the market part of it . . . .

Looking up the rows of booths (about 1/3 of the booth area is shown here.) This was fairly early in the morning and the traffic picked up a lot as the morning progressed.

By noon, the traffic slows, and it's time to pack up and head for home! Leah and I have it down to a science, and it takes about 10-15 minutes to have all the products boxed up and in the truck, display and tables taken down, and the tent down as well.

Me unloading the truck after getting back

So there you have a glimpse into Leah's and my Saturday mornings!

16 comments:

  1. What fun! I've met lots of interesting people at farmer's markets in the area. You look lovely in that blue color, Sarah, and your pretty smile. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, Mrs. Anne! They are neat places to go and to visit with people there, as it sounds like you've experienced.

      Aww, thank you! You're sweet. :)

      Delete
  2. We don't have quite ethe same farmers markets here. Every week there is a garden stall on the Piazza i the city nearby, but not much else. Your market looks such fun, and I would have to stop at your stall, it looks so attractive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The garden stall you have there sounds nice, Elizabeth! I am sure you would enjoy our farmers markets . . . and how fun if it was possible for you to stop by my stall. I would love to see and visit with you!

      Thank you for your kind comment on my display. :)

      Delete
  3. Sarah, I love your setup! Your booth is beautiful (and so are you :). I'm so glad to hear about your encouraging conversation with the older gentleman and couple! That's such a blessing. Thank you for sharing how the Lord has worked in you through this trial, Sarah, in these last few posts. It has been a blessing to me, and has been very encouraging. Be assured that I am still thinking of you and praying for you! Psalm 40:11

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Katie, for your kind words! :)

      And thank you also for all you shared . . . I am glad that in some way what I am going through and how the Lord is working can be an encouragement to you. And thank you so much for your continued prayers for me. The Lord is helping me greatly, though there are times that it is still quite hard (like some days last week.) It is definitely a journey that needs perseverance day by day, yet I can see that He is continuing to faithfully and steadily bring me through.

      Thank you for sharing that verse . . . it is so encouraging! (((hugs)))

      Delete
  4. I've so much enjoyed both these last posts Sarah! You do a brilliant job at marketing your products. I love the idea of selling the soap ends too - I'd definitely be a customer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that you have enjoyed them, Rena!

      And thank you for your kind words! Wish you could stop by on a Saturday. :) It would be lovely to have a good long chat with you face to face!

      Delete
  5. Enjoyed reading about your productive day. I enjoy using wonderfully fragrant home-made soaps. The scent is amazing.

    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that you enjoyed it, Victoria! Homemade soaps are lovely, aren't they? That's great you are able to use and enjoy them!

      Delete
  6. Sarah, your booth is so inviting. Thanks for sharing your market day with us. That beautiful smile in the last picture is a welcome sight! Hope you have a productive summer at the market. Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your sweet comment, Linda! I'm sure I'll have more posts about the market as the summer progresses. :)

      Aww, thank you!

      Delete
  7. What exactly are the soap ends, Sarah? Are those pieces that you trim to make all the soaps a consistent size? On a similar note, I routinely save bits of soap when they are too small to use anymore. I gather them in an old nylon knee high, and when it is almost full, I tie a knot and use it in the shower as kind of a soap-filled loofah sponge.:-) I recently started filling one of the burlap gift bags you package your soaps in. Can't wait until it is full!

    --Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I missed replying to this earlier, Betsy! The soap ends are simply the scraps I have leftover once I make a batch of soap and cut it into bars. That's a great idea of how to use up soap scraps! Thanks for sharing. :)

      On a related note, thank you so much for the very positive feedback you left on my etsy store! Made me smile to read that. :) I am so glad you like the soaps so much!

      Delete
  8. Hi Sarah,

    I recently came across your blog and seeing this post reminds me much of my sister and me! So I had to make a comment. :) Enjoyed your description of your local market and the fun times you've had selling there together. I know about those cold mornings, and the interesting conversations. :) My sister (also named Sarah)and I shared a booth for the last 4 years at our small local market, she selling sweets and me selling soaps. She recently married and moved away, and I decided to take my business in a different direction, but we'll always have those memories!

    I've enjoyed your photography on your site as well! You seem like a thoughtful blogger and young woman. Keep serving Him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to my blog, Hannah, and thank you for your comment! I enjoyed reading it and it is so nice to 'meet' you. :)

      How neat that you and your sister went to markets as well! And that you made and sold soaps, too. Markets like this are a lot of fun, and yes, make for great memories together. I hope that your new business direction goes well for you!

      Thank you for your kind words and the encouragement as well. :)

      Delete

Thanks so much for your comment! Each one is read and enjoyed. :)