This particular crockpot recipe is really simple to put together and is delicious, too . . .
(The spice/herb amounts are guesstimates as I don't measure much when making this!)
Crockpot Cowboy Casserole
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 ½-inch cubes
- 1 to 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- ½ to ¾ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 ½ pounds ground beef, browned and drained
- 1 can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed (we didn't have these so I used a can of mild Chili beans and rinsed them so they wouldn't be so spicy)
- 1 can (14 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- ¼ cup water
- a bit of additional dried basil, pepper and salt
- 4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
Place the potatoes in the bottom of the slow cooker. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and basil. Add onions and minced garlic. Layer ground beef over onions and garlic. Top with beans, diced tomatoes, and water. Sprinkle lightly with additional basil, pepper, and salt. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours. When there is about 15 minutes of cook time left, sprinkle the cheese on top, and cover again until cheese is melted. Enjoy!