Wednesday, July 6, 2016

First Canning of the Year

Dad and Mom were planning a trip out to the Creation Museum for their anniversary (which they celebrate the beginning of this month), and Leah and I were thinking that while they were gone, it would be fun to do another 'sister time' of furniture restoration/refinishing. But then as the time for their trip came closer (they went last week and had a wonderful time!), a number of 'must do's' came up for us so our plans changed!

One of those change of plans was turning this . . .


Into this . . .


Yes, canning has begun! The first produce ready this year was the beets, and we began by first harvesting all of them save for the really small ones . . .


Cutting off their tops . . .


Washing them . . .



Then boiling them, peeling and chopping them, and finally, canning them! Of which there are no photos so you'll have to imagine. :) Leah and I had a lot of fun together with the canning, and many hours later, the kitchen was all cleaned up again (beets are so messy!) and there were 20 quarts of beets canned and ready to be enjoyed in the coming months.

Then this afternoon, cucumber relish was made and canned . . .

Mom prepared all the onions, peppers and cucumbers . . .

. . . and then I made it and canned it

Pickles are next on the list to make and can as our cucumber plants are producing prolifically right now! And so the furniture restoration/refinishing will have to wait just a little longer . . . . :)

12 comments:

  1. How I admire your zest for life and the jobs that you do to make home a home. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comment, Suze! :)

      Delete
  2. What a busy time you are having. It's the 'production' season now and vegetables are in full swing. Beetroots do leave everything a pretty purple shade!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been busy, Elizabeth! It's always so fun and satisfying to get so much food preserved.

      Yes, they do indeed! I have heard that the juice can be used as a dye, but I have yet to try it. It seems like it would work well, though!

      Delete
  3. You and your family keep so industrious! What a pleasure to see the beets you and your sister canned. Beets are a favorite in our home. : ) I hope to make pickles soon too. I have never made relish, I bet homemade is delicious.

    I have seen pictures of the creation museum, it looks like a fabulous place to visit!

    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, Sarah! How fun to be making pickles soon . . . I hope that goes well for you. :) It's always enjoyable taking garden produce and turning it into canned goods!

      The creation museum is amazing! Leah and I went there several years ago and then my parents this year, and we were all really impressed with it. If you are ever able to go, I am sure you would so enjoy it!

      Delete
  4. That's really awesome! Your beets do very well. :D Those sound like nearly all day projects though. It's one of my favorite parts of summer is spending all day in the kitchen working with fresh produce.
    We'll be trying relish this year too, if the cucumbers do well enough. Do you prefer the sweet relish or the dill relish?

    Thanks for posting!
    -Christina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They did do well this year, Christina! The beets were nearly an all day project, though the relish was just an afternoon. It is fun to spend the day in the kitchen putting up so much delicious produce, isn't it? I was just thinking how fun it would be if we didn't live so far away . . . we could have a canning day together!

      I hope your cucumbers do well enough that you'll be able to make relish! We've never had dill relish, so I can't compare the two. We've always made the sweet which we quite like.

      You're welcome! :)

      Delete
  5. thewarmfireplaceJuly 08, 2016

    What a wonderful harvest, your mum must have been thrilled to see all those jars full. I am going to harvest the herbs ongoing during the summer for winter dishes, they keep well in the freezer when I don't have any fresh, awaiting harvests here as we have had so much rain and its been colder than the norm. God bless. Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been, Sue! It's such a blessing to be getting so much produce from the garden. Yes, she was excited to see all the beets canned. :)

      That's a great idea to harvest herbs and then freeze them! Enjoy doing that. :) We've always dried them to preserve, though I would imagine their flavor and nutritional benefit would be better with frozen than dried. I'll have to try freezing them sometime!

      Delete
  6. Ooh lovely. The very best beet preserves recipe I've ever found is in the Little House Cookbook, based on the stories by Laura Ingalls Wilder. I gave a jar of my preserves to a friend once who proceeded to eat the whole jar, alone and in one go! It's simple too - I am growing beets again this year and hope to use that recipe again when my summer comes around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should find that recipe, Rena! From your and your friend's 'review', it sounds delicious. :) And I have that cookbook somewhere . . . I remember as a little girl admiring Ma's productivity and all the food she made and put up.

      I hope your beets grow well for you and have fun preserving them when it comes to harvest time!

      Delete

Thanks so much for your comment! Each one is read and enjoyed. :)