Friday, August 12, 2016

By Request ~ Zesty Salsa Recipe

Here is the recipe for our salsa, Sarah! (And anyone else who might like it. :) Hope you enjoy!


Zesty Salsa 
(we always double this recipe to make approximately 14 pints  at a time. Please note, this recipe does not include HOW to can, just how to prepare the recipe to can and how long to process.)

- 10 cups chopped, seeded, peeled, cored tomatoes (about 6 pounds)
- 5 cups chopped and seeded green peppers (about 2 pounds)
- 5 cups chopped onions (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 2 1/4 cups jalapeno peppers (about 1 pound)
- 1/4 cup hot peppers (we like to use a mix of habanero, cayenne, and/or serrano)
- 1 1/4 cups cider vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp. fresh cilantro, minced
- 3 tsp. canning salt

Combine all of the ingredients in a large saucepot. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Ladle hot salsa into hot jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Adjust two-piece caps. Process 15 minutes in a boiling-water canner.

Note: When cutting or seeding hot peppers, wear rubber gloves to prevent your hands from getting burned.


The end result!

And here are photos of our "handy hand-powered gadget" for you to see . . . it's a manual food processor, and it works well! Hopefully this will give a better idea of what it is like and how it works . . . .


What it looks like inside . . . when using it for making salsa, we simply chop the peppers and onions into big chunks, put them in here, spin it around for just a bit (maybe 20 seconds or so?), and then we have nicely chopped peppers and onions! 

6 comments:

  1. Looks great! I'm always willing to try a new salsa recipe ~ thanks! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anne! And you're welcome. :) It's fun trying new recipes, isn't it?

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much Sarah! This sounds like a great recipe. I can't wait to make a batch!! Next week my mom and I are hoping to get started canning tomatoes, so maybe I will have a chance to make this salsa then. Thank you also for sharing a picture of your handy tool. I am wondering if my mom saw one recently. She was trying to explain something like this to me and thought I should buy one. : ) I really appreciate you taking the time to share this!

    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome, Sarah! How fun to have a canning day/week with your Mom. It's always special doing things like that together! Enjoy. :) And if you try this recipe, I I hope it works well for you and that you like it!

      The handy tool sure is a huge time-saver and easy to use . . . I can see why your Mom would be thinking you should get one. :) We love using ours especially during canning season!

      Delete
  3. That looks so good! I'll have to try it soon. We didn't have a garden this year, but maybe I can buy the stuff and make it.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Salinn. :) If you do try it, have fun making it and I hope you like it!

      Delete

Thanks so much for your comment! Each one is read and enjoyed. :)