Sunday, August 21, 2016

"Enough"

Every non-rainy Sunday (and often weekdays, too), I'll walk to a certain spot on our place with an old quilt over my arm and my Bible and notebook in hand. Then follows a special time with the Lord . . . praying, reading my Bible, writing down verses that stand out to me and/or different thoughts about them, and sometimes singing hymns.


Today I also brought along the five book devotional book by Frances Ridley Havergal titled My King and His Service (published 1892.) These are my favorite devotionals! They are so encouraging and convicting.

I read through each entry for the 21st, and the last one, a poem, really spoke to my heart . . . it was very encouraging and timely. I hope it will be a blessing to you as well!

Enough

I am so weak, dear Lord, I cannot stand
One moment without Thee!
But oh! the tenderness of Thine enfolding.
And oh! the faithfulness of Thine upholding,
And oh! the strength of Thy right hand!
That strength is enough for me!

I am so needy, Lord, and yet I know
All fullness dwells in Thee;
And hour by hour that never-failing treasure
Supplies and fills, in overflowing measure,
My least, my greatest need; and so
Thy grace is enough for me!

It is so sweet to trust Thy word alone:
I do not ask to see
The unveiling of Thy purpose, or the shining
Of future light on mysteries untwining:
Thy promise-roll is all my own - 
Thy word is enough for me!

The human heart asks love; but now I know
That my heart hath from Thee
All real, and full, and marvelous affection,
So near, so human; yet divine perfection
Thrills gloriously the mighty glow!
Thy love is enough for me!

There were strange soul-depths, restless, vast, and broad,
Unfathomed as the sea; 
An infinite craving for some infinite stilling;
But now Thy perfect love is perfect filling!
Lord Jesus Christ, my Lord, my God,
Thou, Thou art enough for me!

6 comments:

  1. Much enjoying your posts as always, Sarah. I remember you mentioning Frances Ridley Havergal before, and looking up what can be found of her works online... there's quite bit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that you are enjoying them, Rena! Yes, Frances Ridley Havergal was a prolific writer. I haven't read many of her works, but the ones I have read have been a great blessing!

      Delete
  2. Love it! ENOUGH! Yes, He's all we need!
    God bless,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment, Anne! Yes, He is indeed!

      Delete
  3. This is such a beautiful poem! Have you read "Then Sings My Soul" by Robert Morgan? There are (I think!) three in the series. It is a wonderful series of books that tells the story behind the hymn. I was always so blessed to read the biographies of the hymn writers. There were a couple about Havergal and her life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry that I missed replying to this, Sarah! No, I haven't read that before. It sounds good, though! It would be really interesting, and as you shared, I am sure a blessing, to know the stories behind the hymns and the lives of those who wrote them. Thank you for sharing!

      Delete

Thanks so much for your comment! Each one is read and enjoyed. :)