Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Farm Life

. . . new life

A litter of baby rabbits a few days old 

 The mama


. . . dew covered grass on our feet when doing the morning animal chores (how I love early mornings!)


. . . our growing hens . . . and our own eggs again!

Three of the hens

Our first two eggs


. . . finishing loading the truck up after dark for farmers market while crickets are chirping, frogs are 'singing', clouds obscure the stars, the moonlight peeks through a break in the clouds . . . so pleasant!


. . . honey extraction

Cutting the wax cappings off of the comb with the electric uncapping knife

Frames ready to be spun in the extractor (which Leah did)

 And out comes the honey!

 . . . wildlife visitors

This beautiful doe came almost right up to our house! Poor thing, though, has a bad leg, but that didn't keep her from getting around quite well.

A big ole snapping turtle

And a full view more from the back . . . aren't they so interesting looking?!


. . . lots of work :)


. . . harvests from the garden (which are getting significantly smaller now that some crops are slowing down)

Basil, yellow squash and tomatoes that Mom had just brought in and washed

Potato plants dying back and getting closer to being ready to harvest and store


. . . summertime meals . . .

BLT Chicken Salad which we enjoyed with delicious watermelon from a vendor at the farmers market


. . . harvesting from the wild . . . and future harvesting as I discovered an elderberry bush on our place! I was quite excited to find this medicinal and culinary berry . . .



. . . and that's a glimpse into life here on our little farm!

11 comments:

  1. What a lovely glimpse of Summer produce and all good things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you enjoyed it, Elizabeth!

      Delete
  2. thewarmfireplaceAugust 17, 2016

    It is a wonderful time of the year, harvesting and preserving our crops, the early morning is such a special time of the day when all is quite.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed, Sue! O yes, mornings are certainly that. :)

      Delete
  3. I love this time of year! The snapping turtle you found is huge! I haven't seen one since I was a little girl over at my grandma's house. Our hens just began laying eggs this past week, it is certainly a blessing to have fresh eggs every day. : ) Your hens are so pretty, I love Barred Rocks. And your elderberries look terrific! I have had elderberry pie a few times and it is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do as well, Sarah! Our hot spell finally broke and the weather has been just lovely here.

      How exciting that your hens just began laying eggs as well! It's so nice to have fresh eggs from your own hens, isn't it?

      Elderberry pie sounds good! Unfortunately, our berries don't look good anymore. :( The songbirds really enjoyed them, and there's not one left! I'll have to remember that for next year and put a net or something over them!

      Delete
  4. I really enjoyed reading about and seeing all the pictures of life on the farm. The honey extraction is well worth the finished product. :) I must comment on your lovely apron. I love the pattern and was wondering if you made it? Have a wonderful rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that you enjoyed it, Angela! And yes, the honey extraction certainly is. It's really a blessing having our own honey!

      Thank you for your comment on the apron! Leah made this one actually years ago, and I had made one of the same pattern but a different color. We ended up swapping as we each liked the other's better. :)

      I hope you have a wonderful week as well!

      Delete
  5. Nice pictures and commentary!
    Quick Question: what type of yellow squash was that? It looked interesting. I don't think I remember seeing that variety before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw in previous post that you called the squash Yellow Lemon Squash. What do they taste like?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Sister in the Mid-west, the yellow squash is called Lemon Yellow Squash. It is similar in flavor to the crookneck yellow squash that we had grown before, but we like the Lemon squash flavor better. It's not as 'squashy' tasting yet seems to have a creamer, fuller flavor. There are also fewer seeds, and the texture seems smoother, too. It's kind of hard to describe, but I hope that helps!

      Delete

Thanks so much for your comment! Each one is read and enjoyed. :)