Monday, August 8, 2016

Recipe Invention ~ Hamburger Rice Casserole

For many years, I was strictly a recipe follower when it came to cooking and baking. As time went on though, I began experimenting a bit, and eventually, experimenting a lot! . . . changing this here, tweaking that there, substituting this, adding this herb, etc. It's so fun to be creative in the kitchen!

The week before last, in the midst of canning diced tomatoes, I was planning out the weekly menu in my head, and an idea for a meal started swirling around. Eventually the 'recipe' was 'developed', and that night, this was made . . . .


I wish I would have measured and written down the amounts of what I added so the recipe would be exact, but this is close!

Hamburger Rice Casserole

- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1/2 tsp. salt

- 1 to 1 1/2 lbs ground beef, browned and drained
- 1/2 cup chopped bell peppers
- 1/2-3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms (or a can of them)
- 1-2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 to 1 1/2 tsp. dried basil
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 to 3/4 tsp. pepper
- 3/4 tsp. salt

- 1/3 cup homemade cream of soup mix
- 1 cup hot water
- Cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a 2.5 quart, greased baking dish, add the brown rice, 2 1/2 cups water, 1 Tbsp. butter and 1/2 tsp. salt. Mix together. Cover and bake for 1 hour.

Meanwhile, saute peppers, onion, celery, and mushrooms in butter until crisp-tender. Add the browned ground beef, herbs, pepper, and 3/4 tsp. salt. Stir and saute for another 10 minutes or so.

In a saucepan, stir together 1 cup hot water and 1/3 cup homemade cream of soup mix. Heat to a boil and stir for 2 minutes or until thick. Add to beef mixture and stir.

After the rice has baked for an hour, remove from the oven, stir, and then top with the beef/soup mixture. Lower the oven temperature to 350 degrees, cover, and bake for 25 minutes. Uncover, top with cheese, and bake for 5 more minutes or until the cheese is melted. Enjoy!


*I'm not sure why, but my "recipes" page disappeared for awhile . . . it's back now, though! The link to it is back at the top of the page in the main menu.

10 comments:

  1. This sounds good, Sarah! Thanks for sharing.
    I've had a lot of trouble with my blog lately ~ think I have it sorted out now.
    Enjoy your day! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Anne! I am sorry to hear that you had trouble with your blog. Though I'm glad it is fixed now! I always enjoy visiting your little place on the web. :) I hope you enjoy your day as well!

      Delete
  2. Yum! Thank you for sharing! I am so glad I have found your blog again. I used to follow it years ago, but we have been through several moves and I lost touch. Glad to catch up! Have a beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome back, Stonehearth! I am glad that you discovered me again. :) I hope you enjoy your future visits!

      You're welcome for sharing, and I hope you have a wonderful day as well!

      Delete
  3. That sounds like a meal for hungry people!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was/is, Elizabeth. :) Perfect after a long, busy day of work!

      Delete
  4. That looks really yummy. I love making casseroles. You can almost never go wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stephanie! Casseroles are a favorite to make here as well. :)

      Delete
  5. Isn't it fun to experiment in the kitchen? This recipe looks like terrific. I will have to add it to my list of recipe to try soon. Thank you for sharing it! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, Sarah! And you're welcome for sharing. :) Hope you enjoy it!

      Delete

Thanks so much for your comment! Each one is read and enjoyed. :)