Tuesday, August 30, 2016

The Missouri State Fair

It has become a yearly tradition for us to spend one much enjoyed day at our State Fair. And this year, a friend was able to join us, too, so that was nice!

Watching livestock judging and different animal competitions; walking through the Home-ec, FFA, Agriculture, and other buildings; looking at the different animals that are there; eating a State Fair corndog (Leah's yearly request :); and then seeing whatever else there is to see.

The day we went this time was just beautiful . . . not too hot, though the sun was shining and a breeze was blowing. It was quite pleasant!

There were a lot of antique tractors at the fair, and it was fun looking at all of them
(Photo by Dad)

This was neat! It is a steam-powered tractor. They were starting it up here, and it was interesting seeing how it worked.

Leah
(Photo by Dad)

On our way to the Exhibition Center to see what was going on inside . . . there were lots of trailers around it so we were guessing it had something to do with livestock.
(Photo by Dad)

We were right! And it was something we had never seen before . . . herding dogs being judged on how well they could maneuver the sheep through certain gates and finally, into the pen. It was amazing to see how well-trained the dogs were! And especially how sensitive they were to the many different whistle commands.
(Photo by Dad)

A job well done!
(Photo by Dad)

Then for a demonstration, they brought four big steers into the arena and had this very well-trained dog first teach the cattle to respect him, and then he worked them all over the arena following the whistle commands of his owner. It was impressive!
(Photo by Dad)

The next demonstration was a dog herding ducks! That was a little comical to watch. :) It herded the ducks between the people's legs before herding them into their little wagon . . . .
(Photo by Dad)

It took a bit for the dog to do as one duck did NOT want to go in!
(Photo by Dad)

Next we went to the animal barns where sheep, goats, and pigs were all being judged . . . .

Ah the life of a pig . . . sleeping. Nearly all of the many pigs (over a 100?) were in the same position this one was.

Dad giving this dozing pig a head scratch. Dad used to help raise hogs on his family's farm in his growing up years so we have heard many stories of his adventures with those!

After the pigs, we detoured to the FFA (Future Farmers of America) building before moving on to the other animals . . . .

Mom looking at various items that had been entered in the fair
(Photo by Dad)

Dad and Leah having fun playing this game that was there . . . how high will your crop yields be? It just depends on how well you can avoid the government regulations, crop failures, drought, etc.!

Camera war :)

This was the one he got after I put my camera down :)
(Photo by Dad)

Looking at a tractor that an FFA member had restored

The sheep barns were next!

Making friends with the sheep 
(Photo by Dad)

All trimmed, groomed, and ready for the show ring

These were my favorite! I love black-faced sheep.

Leah attempting to make friends with this little ram . . . it didn't work. :) He was quite the wary little guy!

Watching the Boer goat judging was the next thing we did . . . 

Me off to the left watching the class of bucks being shown
(Photo by Dad)

Dad was up watching the judging from here (and the others, and eventually myself, joined him there.)

Looking at the HUGE (and expensive!) tractors that were for sale 

Dad up in one that was over $500,000 . . . we didn't get it. :)

We enjoyed one of Mom's, Leah's, and my favorite buildings next . . . the Home-ec building! So many beautiful quilts, crochet projects, baked goods, canned goods, and more . . . .

Mom and some of the quilts
(Photo by Dad)


Some of the quilts that were hanging up on display

This quilt was my favorite. I love blue and white quilts! (Or blue and white anything.) One of these days, I am finally going to make one!

Leah and I admiring the quilts that had been hand-quilted
(Photo by Dad)

So many canned goods there! Jams, jellies, pickles, vegetables, and more
(Photo by Dad)

Mom really liked this . . . an antique suitcase converted into a doll house
(Photo by Dad)

I know I say this every year, but someday, I am going to learn how to smock. Isn't this little girl's dress darling?

Leah looking at the display of antique quilts. These are always interesting to see as not only are they beautiful, but they often have the history of the quilt as part of the display as well.

The Missouri Department of Conservation has a building on the fair grounds and each year, they have displays of native fish, snakes, turtles, and frogs. It's always fun walking through there!

Mom and Leah looking at one of the aquariums
(Photo by Dad)

Me looking at the fish as well . . . at some point along here, a little girl came up to me and asked with wonder in her voice, "what is THAT?" Referring to the fish in the below photo . . . it was fun to talk with her a bit and tell her about the fish . . . . 
(Photo by Dad)

Mom and Dad watching the paddlefish. They are quite interesting looking! (And these ones are really tiny compared to how large they can get.) God put such diversity in His creation!

Leah, Mom and I looking at the produce displays in the agriculture building and trying to find the ones our friends entered (an older couple we became friends with at the smaller farmers market we used to go to.) It's always fun to see what they enter.
(Photo by Dad)

We finished out our time at the fair by going to the Floriculture building where we got some wildflower seeds, and then we headed home.

All in all, it was a wonderful day spent together at the fair!

14 comments:

  1. Looks like quite the fair, with a variety of beautiful items to see! My mom would have loved the quilt section. :) It's been many years since we last went to our state fair, but being in a rural county, the county fairs are pretty popular here. This post is making me wish we hadn't missed ours this month. Maybe next year. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was, Hannah! I am sure your Mom would have liked the quilts . . . there were so many of them! One detailed one had been entirely hand-pieced and hand quilted. There was a note there saying how long it took her, and she had spend thousands of hours making it!

      That is really nice that your county fairs are popular and fun to go to. Ours around here have gotten quite small, so the state fair is always a treat to go to. Yes, hopefully you'll make it to your fair next year!

      Delete
  2. What a very full day! My husband would have loved to roam around the tractors with your dad, but I think I would have spent time looking at the quilts and crafts. I never get tired of quilt-gazing. The little smocked dress is exquisite, and I wish I had learned smocking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and enjoyably so, Elizabeth! It made me smile to read what you and your husband would have enjoyed looking at . . . wouldn't it have been fun if you could have joined us? We would have loved that! And especially looking at all the quilts and crafts with you. :)

      Delete
  3. I have never been to a state fair, but every February we go see similar (though much smaller) exhibits at the San Angelo Rodeo. The quilts are always one of my favorite things to admire. I really need to learn to quilt some day! I am glad y'all had an enjoyable trip and I enjoyed seeing your pictures! The dogs herding things would have been a lot of fun to see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The exhibits at the San Angelo Rodeo sounds like they would be fun to see! And of course, the rodeo, too.

      The quilts are one of my favorite things, too . . . wish you could have been up here and we could have enjoyed them together! I can just imagine how fun that would be. :) It sounds like we each have 'someday' skills we'd like to learn. Maybe one of these winters we'll both be able to work on them!

      I am glad you enjoyed the photos! And yes, the dogs herding was really fun to see . . . it was one of our favorite parts of the fair!

      Delete
  4. It looks like such a fun fair! We used to go to one in our county but they started charging too much to get in, and there wasn't even anything interesting there even anymore.:(
    You should totally learn how to smock! I'm sure you'd do great at it. My best friend smocks and she does amazing work! She's got an etsy shop full of her amazing work! I'd love to do it someday too, I'm not so good at any handwork though.:/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was, Salinn! It sounds like our county fairs are a lot alike - higher prices to get in, yet not much of interest there. That's one reason why we always enjoy our State Fair as there is so much to see!

      Thanks for the encouragement about learning how to smock! Too bad I don't live closer to your friend as then I could take lessons. :) Maybe someday we'll both be able to learn!

      Delete
  5. Sarah, it looks like the best of days out! SO much to see. AWW loved the animals, and the clever sheepdog.
    I think you charmed the sheep! You should get two or three!

    Even before you said it I had thought the blue-and-white quilt the prettiest ~ it is really lovely. Hope you make one!
    Glad you had a lovely and inspiring day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a wonderful day, Alex! Reading all you shared sure made me smile. Thank you!

      I would love to have sheep someday, though I'm just not so sure about the shearing part of it!

      We must have similar tastes in colors and quilts. :) Maybe this winter I'll see about making a blue and white one!

      Delete
  6. Sarah...the dog herding reminded me of the movie "Babe," an old favorite. Have you seen it?

    --Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw it a long time ago, Betsy . . . and yes, I can see how it would remind you of it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Missouri State Fair looks like a fun place to go. If I was there, my favourite section to be in is looking at the beautiful quilts. I sewn a memory quilt for my Mom couple Christmases ago. It was fun making a quilt for the first time but quickly learned quilting isn't my passion. I probably will do it again someday but not as a regular hobby to make quilts all the time.

    I've heard of smock but I don't understand why people call it smock instead of a dress. What's the difference between smock and a dress?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, Leah! I am sure you would have loved looking at the quilts. :) Wish you could have joined us!

      What a special keepsake to sew your Mom a memory quilt! I can imagine how much she loved that. I can understand about quilting not being your passion. While I love quilts and enjoy making them (and love the finished result!), it's not a regular hobby for me either.

      Smocking is a technique used on different clothing pieces, and in this photo, it was a dress. Do you see on the bodice how the fabric is all puckered/gathered? That is what is the smocking . . . gathering the fabric as the photo shows, and then embroidering/stitching over it. I hope that helps explain the difference!

      Delete

Thanks so much for your comment! Each one is read and enjoyed. :)