Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Visit to Amish Country

This is a scheduled post as Leah and I are on vacation! I look forward to sharing about that once we're back. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last week, our friend Meagan asked if we would like to go with her to the Amish country to do some grocery shopping. The answer was a definite yes!

So on a sunny afternoon, we three and her little 7-week old baby boy had a much enjoyed time driving through the beautiful countryside and going to both a bulk food store and a discount grocery. I took some photos with my phone that give a glimpse into our time . . . .

On our way! 
(Meagan and Leah)

And I was in the back with this precious boy who fell asleep holding my thumb :) 

A common sight to see! There is a large and popular produce auction that the Amish bring their produce to so they were hauling things to the market, and then empty wagons back. 

Passing by another farm wagon hauling empty boxes back home

It must have been mowing day the day we went as there were many Amish children out mowing their lawns, or here, mowing a pasture. 

 Sweet boy and I in the bulk food store . . . he had just messed his onesie hence his 'attire' here!

Passing by a sawmill . . . and this is only a small section of the piles of logs

A beautiful farmstead

It was so picturesque driving through the Amish country! We loved seeing their well-manicured gardens, pretty porches with flowers arrayed all around, clothes on the line blowing in the breeze, horses and buggies or wagons on the roads, and more.

While we enjoyed all of that, our time together was much more enjoyed with talking about both the everyday and also deeper things, having fun together, and stocking up on groceries, too. Since our family had just recently been to the bulk food store near us, we didn't need much of anything. Though we did come away with some dried fruit for Leah's and my trip, a big jug of coconut oil (for a great price!), and then a jar of organic almond butter from the discount grocery (which was at a really good price since it was past its expiration date.)

All in all, we had a wonderful time together!

12 comments:

  1. I adore Amish country! We are just now returning from a vacation in Ohio which included Amish country outings as well. Among these, we saw a live theater production called "Josiah for President" which was wonderful! We also had an amazing buffet supper and some lovely photo ops!

    --Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your vacation sounds like it would have been pleasant, Betsy! I am sure you enjoyed those Amish country outings as well as the other things you mentioned. :)

      Delete
  2. I've always enjoyed driving by amish country whenever we head that direction. My favourite is to see the horses & their buggies with people in it coming down the road. Few summers ago, I went to Lancaster with my sister's family. Seeing so many amish people, their homes, buggies, visited one of their restaurants, craft & toy store in one of their homes, etc. It was a lot of fun! Would like to go back there again someday.

    I can't wait to hear about yours & Leah's vacation! I'm sure you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can relate, Leah! How fun to visit Lancaster with your sister's family. I am sure you enjoyed that!

      Leah and I did have a great time on our vacation. :) Posts with photos and videos will be coming soon!

      Delete
  3. It seems that everything that the Amish do is done very well, barns, houses, fields, all look so beautifully kept.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does seem that way, Elizabeth . . . at least as far as their handwork, construction, and farms go!

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed this post and pictures! I've always loved the Amish people and visiting their communities. I live two hours from Shipshewana, IN (an Amish community) that my husband, 5 children, and I try to visit every year. My children have developed a love for the Amish community too. Thanks for sharing! ~Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that you enjoyed it, Sarah! The Amish community is indeed always enjoyable to visit, and it sounds like you and your children like it, too. :) I can imagine the fun times you have together when you go! We certainly always have fun when we visit there.

      One thing that makes me sad about it, though, is to know that their religion - which is foundational to much of their lifestyle - is not a biblical faith in Jesus Christ. It makes me want to talk to them if/when opportunities should come up!

      You're welcome for sharing the post and pictures!

      Delete
    2. Yes, it is very sad that their beliefs are based on works. I actually have had the opportunity over the last couple years to get to know an Amish lady in her 20s who works at an Amish store I go to. I've been able to share a little about my faith. However, I don't know how much I will see her now because she was supposed to be getting married this past spring. I pray I might see her again.

      Delete
    3. That is so wonderful, Sarah, that you had the opportunity to share with the Amish lady about your faith! I pray that the seeds planted will grow and that you will indeed be able to see and talk with her again. Thank you for sharing!

      Delete
  5. Looks lovely! I've wanted to go out there for quite awhile. My mother-in-law and I keep trying to make plans to go because she has certain items, like her ranch dressing mix, that she loves to buy there! I pray you are having a wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, Nathana! I know you would enjoy it. :) Hopefully you and your mother-in-law will be able to go soon! There is another bulk food store down in Tipton called the Dutch Bakery that we like to go to as well as they have so much variety. We go there pretty regularly!

      Thank you for your prayers for us! We did have a very wonderful trip, and I look forward to sharing about it soon!

      Delete

Thanks so much for your comment! Each one is read and enjoyed. :)