Saturday, December 31, 2016

A New Year

At the eve of this New Year, there are no profound words of wisdom that come to mind, not really any resolutions (though I do have plans for the new year :), no great life-changing goals or aspirations . . . just open hands.

"Use me as You will, may Your will be done in my life."

Trusting and following . . . yielding to Him my desires and dreams . . . living and serving each day to the fullest with a mind "set on the things above" . . . looking ahead with peace and joy to whatever He has in store, knowing that His plan and path is best, and that it is good.

This is what I desire for my heart to fully embrace and live out in 2017.


Over this past year, a phrase from a song (based upon Isaiah 55:8-9) has so often come to mind: "Your ways are higher than mine." Or as it reads in Isaiah: " 'For My thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways My ways,' declares the LORD. 'For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways and My thoughts than your thoughts.'"

This never fails to encourage and bring peace to my heart and helps me to trust. What a faithful God He has proven Himself to be! Not only does His infallible word testify of His wisdom and faithfulness, they have also blanketed and enveloped my past year in beautiful ways. His faithfulness will continue to be present . . . He will continue to faithfully guide as He has done.

This past year He taught me so much and has drawn my heart much closer to Himself. 2016 was the hardest and most spiritually stretching and growing year I have ever had. Yet it also held many blessings, and it has been one that greatly deepened my relationship with my God and Father.


As I look ahead to 2017, I see the doors that God has already opened and that will prayerfully be continuing . . . doors that I am so thankful for: the nursing home ministry (which has been going so well! There will be more about that in an upcoming post), the therapeutic riding center, spending time with friends and family, sharing the gospel, helping those in need . . . how very many wonderful opportunities God has given!

As I consider each of these, I can see many ways that I can be serving more, sharing more, loving more, in each of them, and going deeper in relationships with others. My hope and prayer is that 2017 will find me growing in these.

So here's to another year . . . blank pages just waiting to be written on. May what fills those pages bring glory to my Lord and Savior, may it count for His kingdom, may it please Him, may they find me growing more in Christ, with less of me and more of Him.

Another year is dawning!
Dear Master, let it be,
In working or in waiting,
Another year with Thee.
Another year in leaning,
Upon Thy loving breast,
Of ever-deepening trustfulness,
Of quiet, happy rest.

Another year of mercies,
Of faithfulness and grace;
Another year of gladness,
In the shining of Thy face.
Another year of progress,
Another year of praise;
Another year of proving
Thy presence "all the days."

--Frances Ridley Havergal

". . . that you may be filled with the knowledge of His will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding, so that you will walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, to please Him in all respects, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God; strengthened with all power, according to His glorious might, for the attaining of all steadfastness and patience . . . ." Colossians 1:9-11

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

May you all have a blessed New Year! And thank you so much for the great blessing you have been in my life and my family's lives this past year!

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you, Regine, and the same to you!

      Delete
  2. A lovely hymn.
    Happy New Year to you and your family Sarah. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed that, Lynda. I love reading it each new year! Happy New Year to you as well!

      Delete
  3. Happy New Year, Sarah. I'm sure it will be an exciting one!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alex! And happy new year to you as well. Yes, this year will indeed be an exciting one for our family! More on that will be in a post coming soon. :)

      Delete
  4. Blank pages...isn't it good that we don't know what is ahead, and that we have to trust in His wisdom for every day. May it be a peace filled year for you dear Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good, Elizabeth! One day at a time, just trusting Him to lead, guide and give wisdom on the way. Which He always faithfully does!

      Thank you . . . and may it be the same for you as well!

      Delete
  5. Trusting and following one day at a time. Wishing you a healthy, happy, peaceful year, Sarah.♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true, Anne. And God is always faithfully there with us each step of the way!

      Thank you so much! I hope the same for you as well!

      Delete
  6. Happy New Year, Sarah -
    I pray our Lord's abundant blessings upon you in 2017.
    Mrs.B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Mrs. B!

      Delete

Thanks so much for your comment! Each one is read and enjoyed. :)