Sunday, May 21, 2017

An Evening Walk

The sun was slowly sinking in the west, spreading its golden rays across our place . . . one of my favorite times of day to be outdoors. Birds were singing their cheerful songs in the trees, and there was a calm, peacefulness settling in. Needless to say, I thoroughly enjoyed a walk the other evening with my camera in hand  . . . would you all care to join me?

 Looking out across the front yard

It is such a lovely time of year and flowers are beginning to bloom, the vegetable garden is finally starting to have noticeable growth after our deluge of rain and chilly weather awhile back, the goat kids are growing and are quite entertaining, . . . and I could go on, but I'll let the pictures describe it instead. :) . . . .

The little front garden that I completely redid last summer (replacing all the bad soil with good, new soil) is doing much better this year. Slowly it is filling out! 

Long rows of tomato plants . . . hopefully we'll have a big crop this year and we'll be able to restock all of our tomato canned goods! We're starting to get low on a bunch of things. 

The slightly crooked carrot bed

Onions, lettuce, spinach, beets, watermelon, tomatoes, and kale (that is going to seed)


 Tiny celery plants that grew very slowly before being transplanted out, plus some cucumbers.

Already looking forward to fresh green beans sauted in butter and garlic!

 Two of Dad's beehives . . . he's up to around 20 hives and nucleus colonies now! The blueberry bushes are right to the left of these ones, and they are loaded with berries which will be ready to pick next month.

Beehives and fruit trees . . . two of the apple trees have a lot of apples on them

Aurora with her triplets (she was becoming slightly impatient for her dinner which came right after my walk. :) 

Petunias and Vincas that I planted in front of the barn. I got a blue saliva plant this past Saturday at the farmers market so need to do some rearranging to add it in here, too.

My hydrangea bush . . . hoping it flowers this year! 

One of mom's beautiful irises 

"Is it our dinner time yet?" These two boys sure know how to let us know when they are ready to eat! While Sienna never did accept them (so we have to keep them in a separate pen), she knows the feeding routine and all we need to do now is open up both gates, let the kids run in, and she'll patiently feed them while we go do other things. We need to be back around the time she is done, though, as she is not fond of having them in the stall with her once feeding time is over.  

The chickens seemed quite curious as to what I was doing :) "No scraps for us?"

Love all the springtime flowers! I have been enjoying bringing some of them indoors occasionally, too. They brighten up the house so much! 

The daisies are just starting to bloom in my mom's wildflower garden

We haven't really done anything with this garden for years (other then weed and mulch), and the hostas keep on growing and spreading. 

Prairie, Primrose and Meadow . . . there is something so peaceful about watching them out grazing.

Looking down the driveway 

In the rabbitry . . . currently, we have three litters of rabbits. One of them is just starting to open their eyes and are cute! 

This patch of wild elderberries has more than doubled in size since last year! Maybe this summer the birds and deer will leave some of the berries for us. :) 

Here they come! Aurora's kids are not easy to photograph . . . . . 

Can you see why? They love being up close to us! 

River loving the attention

By this time, goats were getting rather impatient to be fed and the sun was sinking lower, which meant it was time to get started on the evening chores!

". . . . Wonderful are Your works, And my soul knows it very well."
Psalm 139:14b

16 comments:

  1. What a delightful walk. Your vegetables are looking so healthy and growing well, unlike mine, suffering from cold nights. It is rare to grow tomatoes out of doors here unless in a very sheltered space, with sunshine! My greenhouse plants are doing well, and like you, I hope to have a good harvest for freezing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that you enjoyed it, Elizabeth! Hopefully it has warmed up now there and your plants are thriving in lots of sun. :) That's great that your greenhouse plants are growing well!

      Delete
  2. The walk was lovely, and just what I needed. God's creation is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad to hear that, Sara. :) His creation is indeed! And a reflection of His power and wisdom.

      Delete
  3. Your gardens look fabulous! We have only just planted our gardens, but here in NY it has taken awhile for the weather to warm up! The kids are growing so fast! They are adorable!! Thank you for sharing the beauty of your evening walk with your readers. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah! I would imagine by now warmer temps have headed your way and your garden is growing more. Ours has grown by leaps and bounds since these photos were taken!

      You're welcome for sharing. :) I am glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed my walk with you on the farm. I'm enjoying the evenings after the wind has calmed down. The kids are so cute and the garden looks great. Thanks for sharing. ♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you enjoyed coming along, Anne. :) Evenings are lovely for going for walks. I am sure it is just beautiful right now down where you live!

      You're welcome for sharing. Hope you all are doing well!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for taking me along on your walk around your beautiful place. Looks like everything is growing well! Enjoyed the photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, everything is growing really well, Hannah! It has been a great garden year so far which we are thankful for. Glad you enjoyed the photos!

      Delete
  6. I had fallen way behind on reading your blog, and just got all caught up. I always enjoy your beautiful photos and encouraging posts! Wow, yall really have a lot of bee hives now too! We have two, and I'm still trying to learn the ropes! Two of my brothers started bee keeping the same month we did, but both of them had wanted to keep bees for many years!
    I got a late start on our garden, as a rabbit kept eating everything that came up!
    I am so glad you are so diligent to keep up your blog, I keep intending to restart mine and just keep putting it off.
    Be blessed my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good to see a comment from you here, Becky! I can well understand falling behind in reading blogs. Especially with how full your life is! I had to smile at what you said about me keeping up with my blog . . . I feel like I haven't done a good job at all lately. :) I am glad you enjoy the posts that are shared, though!

      While I miss posts on your blog, I always enjoy seeing your family updates and photos on facebook! How exciting about your bees! Tyrel must be so thrilled. I hope it is going very well for him and for your brothers.

      I can relate to those pesky rabbits eating things as they come up! We finally had to fence off parts of our garden so the plants could grow.

      Hope you all are doing very well! Blessings to you!

      Delete
  7. Thanks for giving a little tour of your garden and mini farm! So fun to see through pictures! My kids are drawn to your animal pictures! :-) What a lovely place you and your family have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Sarah! I am glad that you and your children enjoyed. :) Makes me happy to know they like to see the animal photos. I'll have to share some more soon.

      Thank you!

      Delete
  8. So enjoyed this little walk with you, Sarah, and the lovely photos of everything. I just love how much pleasure you take in spending time in God's creation, and enjoying the simple pleasures of life. It is so refreshing...and sometimes very convicting to me. Even though you are very busy, with many projects and volunteer activities, you somehow manage to keep things simple. Any hints on how to accomplish that?;-)

    --Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that you enjoyed it, Betsy, and thank you! Ah, finding time to get out and simply enjoy the simple pleasures of life and the beauty in God's creation takes a bit of intentionality. :) One thing that I remind myself of is that work (business, housework, etc.) is always going to be there as there is always something more to do. (I am sure you can relate!) So if I wait until all the tasks are finished to enjoy the simple pleasure of life, God's creation, and other such things, they aren't going to happen very often. So I just make sure to make them happen and squeeze them in! It makes life much more enjoyable and relaxed that way . . . and so many special memories are made as well - especially with my family as we often enjoy these moments together.

      Delete

Thanks so much for your comment! Each one is read and enjoyed. :)